Right Handed and Left Eyed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dowmace

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I'm left handed but right eye dominant. Thankfully I'm fairly ambidextrous so no big deal for me to shoot right handed. It does take a little practice getting used to holding the gun in the "wrong" hand.

I would say I'm better with a shotgun than a rifle because I point it more accurately. Other than that no big difference that I can discern.

piston10

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am right handed and left eye dominant. I shoot right handed and pull the gun over and use my left eye. I don't shoot a lot of rifle, but I use my right eye when I do. Same with my shotty, I use my right eye. No difference shoot a semi or revolver.

septic_shock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am right handed and only have vision in my left eye. Been that way since birth. I learned to shoot everything left handed, so it feels more natural to shoot southpaw now. Never had any problems except for bullpup rifles.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
My wife is left handed but right eye dominant. She shoots a rifle right handed but a pistol left handed.

same situation for my son. he recently went back to shooting lefty with pistols. we were at the range and i suggested he try switching. his score improved slightly right away. still shoots rifle and shotgun right handed though.

wiley_coyote

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I too am right handed but left eye dominant and at times it can be a pain. Did'nt know till I started shooting on ROTC rifle team in school though. Actually shot left handed with rifles while on the team. I shoot pistols with both eyes open by cocking my head a little to the right. Right handed with a rifle I shut my left eye with iron sights even with a scope. Left eye shut when shooting a bow too but both eyes open when shotgunning right handed. I also make better ball contact when playing golf by cocking my head slightly to the right. I would have to say that I shoot rifles a little better than pistols but probably just due to the fact that I shoot rifles more than pistols. It's sometimes nice to be able to shoot with either hand, especially while in a deer stand but you always have to be aware of the fact that you're just a little bit screwed up. I'll lay that fact partially at the feet of my parents (and I love them dearly) who wanted me to be a righty and not a lefty.

okietom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am right handed and left eye dominate. I shoot pistols right handed with my left eye. All of my rifles have scopes and I shoot them right handed.

I shoot a shotgun right handed and I know that some times I miss because of that.

Both of my sons are left handed to different degrees. One is pure lefty and the other does some things right handed.

When I tried bow hunting several years ago I bought a left handed bow. I had two friends that were helping me and one was a righty and the other a lefty. I could see the sights much better left handed and learning left handed was no problem. The guy I bought my left handed bow from was a left eye dominant righty. He was into trap shooting and shot righty for years. He finally switched sides and won a state championship shooting southpaw.

I was always fond of side by side shotguns and I have read they help with my problem.

Latest posts

Top Bottom