Right Handed and Left Eyed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jspurgeon

Marksman
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
Handguns I hold right handed, swing in front of my left eye. Long guns I hold right handed, close my left eye to allow me to use the sights or scope. If you are cross dominate, a scout scope mounted forward of the receiver allows you to keep both eyes open on a rifle.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I shoot RH and am left eye dominant.
Handguns: If you do enough barricade shooting, you should learn to shoot with strong or weak hand, either eye. I tend to shoot LH, L eye; RH, R eye. I wish I could get a better score with a semi than revolver, but no.
Shotguns are a problem; I shot C Class regisered skeet for decades.
With scoped rifle, who cares?

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
...Shotguns are a problem; I shot C Class regisered skeet for decades...

I shoot with a number of skeet shooters with an opposite eye dominance issue. They all put a piece of scotch tape on their glasses near the center of the opposite dominate eye. For example, tape blocking the dominant left eye for a right handed shooter. This forces the shooter to use his right eye. Many of these shooters are very good. You might want to look into this if you decide to shoot skeet again.

cigman1st

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Right handed, left eye dominant. Shoot rifles and shotguns left, pistols right. A little more vulnerable when shooting from left side cover...your grape hanging out and all. It used to make the firearms instructors a little nuts when range time rolled around. Was always tempted to buy lefty rifles and shotguns but learned on right handed weapons. Besides, right handed stuff is so much easier to move when you have to.

AbundantEntropy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm right handed and left eyed. When learning to shoot in the army (I know late in life) I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with what they taught me either right or left handed. They caught me doing my own thing with everything you can imagine wrong but was 40/40 (right handed I might add). The drill sergant told me if I want to shoot with my feet blindfolded doing a backwards handstand to do it. Cause it works for me. I still to this day put buttstocks on my bicep not in the pit of my shoulder....

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

riper1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm right handed and left eyed, I shoot pistol right handed left eyed, and rifle right handed right eyed iron-reddot-scoped it doesn't effect me at all, shotguns I squint my left eye and that works for me just fine.

milsurp2.0

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am right handed and only have vision in my left eye. Been that way since birth. I learned to shoot everything left handed, so it feels more natural to shoot southpaw now. Never had any problems except for bullpup rifles.
You have no idea how relieved I am to read this. My son has an astigmatism in his right eye to the point where its just a blur.

BobBarker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am right handed and left eye dominant. Shoot shotguns left handed, rifles ambidextrously depending on what makes the shot easier, and pistols right handed. My pistol shooting is by far the worse and my shotgun shooting is by far the best. I have tried moving over to lefty pistol and do shoot better briefly but hand fatigue and general clumsiness set in pretty quickly.

Latest posts

Top Bottom