Right to repair....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I know some people here will likely be pissed off about this but apple is claiming they do not make money off of repairs. They overcharge for what they make to begin with and they are a major leader in preventing people from repairing their own devices.

This guy is a major person in the right to repair movement and apple is one of the biggest groups trying to prevent it. If you have any other device or machine and you can not make repairs on it or take it to a non authorized repair place you really should think about where you are spending your money.

Here is another one about the right to repair but this time is the military that can't repair something due to the contract.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
And here is a city getting into the act. You are not able to do anything other than minor maintenance with "commonly held" tools on your own vehicle at your own home. Before long they will outlaw working on your own house out there let alone anything else.

Dumpstick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Right to repair problem has been around since automobiles.

Henry Ford famously said something along the line of " I would give you the car if you have to come to me for parts ".

Now that cars are becoming more software based (engine/transmission controls), it is even more at the front line.

Auto manufacturers say (with some truth) that they own the software that controls the vehicles, they are under no obligation to provide it gratis to anyone. Or provide it at all, for that matter.

Vehicle owners say - Wait, it's MY car. I bought it. I need to control it. Unless you will provide the means with which I can do that, I'll sue.

I see it going this way - The car companies won't sell you a car. They will lease it only. They will control everything about the car, even when, and to where, it will run.

Added - I won't even get into the ordinances passed by cities.

As an aside, cities don't pass laws. Cities pass ordinances, or regulations. Cities are wholly owned political subsidiaries of State Govt. State Govt tells cities what to do, via laws.

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Even in computer software, you don't own the software you buy, you own the right to use it. Read the License Agreement, it may say something like you can install on only one computer and must buy additional copies for additional computers, and you agree to this by using the product. Or they may allow it on multiple computers, under specific circumstances.

But they usually won't allow you to give copies to all your friends and family... you didn't buy the rights to do that, you just bought the rights to use it according to the license.

This is standard for software, so probably wouldn't be any different if it's in a car.

Glock 40

Problem Solver
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah software companies have been at this the longest. If you ever read the EULA it basically says you don't own anything. They want to sell you the software but then charge you for updates, maintenance and so on. The long dollar is what they are after.

Hardware manufactures started to follow about 7-10 years ago where they didn't give patches and updates for free. You have to buy the maintenance agreements.

Latest posts

Top Bottom