righty with a lefty rifle?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert871

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
obviously i am no pro, and do not entertain the idea of being one; but something that i have been thinking about while i have my rifles in my arms and looking down range is how my body moves and moves the rifle when i work the action on a bolt action rifle.

i realize naturally for a right handed shooter, the left hand is the primary support for the rifle, while the right is to focus on a crisp straight pull of the trigger and nothing else. i am not a very coordinated person, i will admit this; so i notice that after i take my shot, if i have done it right i am still fairly on target when the recoil settles and i get a look. but when i reach up and cycle the rifle, moving my right arm against the stock causes it to go quite a bit further off target.

i guess in a perfect word a long range target shooter would use basically a bipod and a stock that has its own monopod for the back, and only touch the rifle to his shoulder when hes about to fire.... but im not using this kinda stock. so i was thinking, if i am going to be using a bipod anyways, wouldnt it work more smoothly, and with less rifle movement for a righty to use a lefty bolt action rifle, and work the action with their left hand? or would the stance having your left shoulder further forward, make throwing the bolt a major chore and cause even more movement?

has anyone done this?

WTJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There are a few pro shooters who have discussed the merits of a right handed shooter using a left-handed action. The theory is from the rested positions the shooter does not have to break his weld. It does not work as well from the field positions as you would have to use your support hand to work the bolt.

If you learn to work the bolt from the field positions without breaking your weld by pressing the rifle back into your shoulder with the support hand, you will find, with practice, you can manipulate the action without much disturbance to your sight picture.