Ring and pinion install...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lkothe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It should be pretty straight forward process but I understand that tools and confidence to undertake such a job are outside of some areas of expertise. Tools can be rented and I'm betting there are a ton of YouTube videos on how to do the exchange.

Check with your local off road shop, they do a lot of them.

SPDguns

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just thought of someone- Troy Scott in Perkins. He builds a lot of motors for the Street Outlaws cars. If he doesn't do gears, he will know who does. PM for a phone number.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you have the parts, and some Prussian blue, all it takes is proper shimming of the pinion to get the correct "smear" across the ring gear.
YouTube should have some thing to look at about the "smear". What that means is the pinion needs maximum contact with the ring gear without too much pressure that would result in premature wear. The Prussian blue is a thick dye like Vaseline that shows the amount of contact, or near contact. Too much pressure, it wipes it off, too little, it shows areas of non-contact. When its right, the "smear" will be even across the ring gear with little lines through it.

beastep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You have to have a press though for the pinion bearing on a 8.8 to get the old one off and new one on. And if you get the shims wrong, off again and back on... But if you have a press youre good.

Latest posts

Top Bottom