Romanian 7.92x57mm aka 8MMS Mauser ammo question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ira41magfan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This Romanian, steel cased, lacquered, ammo I bought to shoot in my Yugo M48.

About every 3rd rnd, I had trouble opening the bolt....took some effort. Long story short, out of a box of 20, every 3rd round barely fits into my lyman 8x57 ammo checker. BTW, my reloads shot pretty fair at 50 yards, no issues.

I think I'll cull those with the shoulder sticking out too far an shoots those with good dimensions.

For the others, what's your opinion on pulling bullets and dumping powder into my resized brass. Other ideas are welcome.

Thanks

Rob

Last edited:

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sounds like what I have experienced with Mossin Nagants. I think the lacquer on the cases is the culprit. Possibly that or maybe some old Cosmolean hardened in the chamber. I’d recommend a good chamber cleaning. Maybe or maybe not that will help you.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This Romanian, steel cased, lacquered, ammo I bought to shoot in my Yugo M48.

About every 3rd rnd, I had trouble opening the bolt....took some effort. Long story short, out of a box of 20, every 3rd round barely fits into my lyman 8x57 ammo checker. BTW, my reloads shot pretty fair at 50 yards, no issues.

I think I'll cull those with the shoulder sticking out too far an shoots those with good dimensions.

For the others, what's your opinion on pulling bullets and dumping powder into my resized brass. Other ideas are welcome.

Thanks

Rob

I've done it a bunch. Time-consuming, but better than scrapping good bullets, IMHO.

Just for kicks, weigh bullets and powder a few times. I weighed a bunch of surplus 8x57 years ago - the variation was appalling.

Latest posts

Top Bottom