Ruger #1

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheepshooter

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I did a search for this but didn't find what I was looking for, so sorry if this is a repeat topic.

I've had a recent interest in single shot falling block rifles, particularly with internal hammers. I like the Ruger #1, but I've read that some have poor accuracy. The way the barrel attaches is blamed, but it's the same as a 10/22, right? and those are usually accurate (mine is).

Does anyone here have any firsthand experience with them? I don't like the price, but I like the action. Any input?

Jpt

strawdog

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a Ruger No.1 in 280 Reimington, Great shooter and great Caliber. Ive never had a problem holding sub-MOA with it. I have a older model, dont know if that makes a differance or not. only thing ive done is polished out the trigger for a nicer break, but to be honest the trigger wasnt that bad to begin with. Id love to own anouther.

Strawdog

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
#1's are cool!!! I for one like their RSI series. Now if they would just put it out in more calibers!!!!!
#1 RSI 7X57 with a Weaver 3K.
ai151.photobucket.com_albums_s127_ldp4570_GUNS_203_DSCN0340.jpg

LtCCMPUnit42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
#1's are cool!!! I for one like their RSI series. Now if they would just put it out in more calibers!!!!!
#1 RSI 7X57 with a Weaver 3K.
ai151.photobucket.com_albums_s127_ldp4570_GUNS_203_DSCN0340.jpg

Mr. LDP4570, is there a firearm that you don't have? Have seen you post pics in almost every category.....I know it's wrong to covet another man's stuff, but I can't help myself.

Cheepshooter

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I plan on getting the NEF Buffao Classic in 45-70 and lengthen that to 45-120 or .450 Nitro Express. Most likely 45-120 since brass ad dies are a lot cheaper and they can be loaded to the same performance in a modern gun.

Jpt

pdcrig

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Cheepshooter. I just purchased my first No.1. I've wanted one for years but the price always turned me away. I found a good deal on Gunbroker so I jumped on it. It's a .30-06 1A and it's great. I haven't scoped it yet but plan on it soon. The barrel isn't attached like a 10/22. It's actually screwed on like a normal centerfire rifle. The accuracy troubles that are attributed to the No.1 come from several sources and misunderstandings over the years. Yes, some of the early barrels (mids 70s to early 90s) have been known to have problems. But they're like a box of chocolates..you know the rest. If you get one of the really early barrels made by Douglas or the relatively new Ruger made barrels you should be fine. I shot a friends heavy barrel 223 the other day and it will shoot 1MOA all day long. It depends on your load and how patient you'll be to find the right one. You can find all kinds of info on this subject on 24 Campfire. There are lots of No.1 fans on there. If you plan on building a long barreled Creedmore type rifle the .45-110 would be fun. Otherwise, I'd just stick with the more compact, 22" standard No.1. It'll give you all the power you need using modern .45-70 rounds. Specially in that light of a rifle. Hope this helps.

Latest posts

Top Bottom