Ruger #1

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Don't sweat the covet part, there are some gents just got some dang cool gear. Ruger #1'$ are extremelly nice. On my short list. Who can do the reamer work for that 45-120? Steve baldwin or Olyeller?

pdcrig

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not sure who can do the reaming but there's got to be someone. I like the work Charlie Wells has done for me. He's down at The Shoppe in Newcastle. He's a nice guy and his prices are very reasonable. He's barreling a custom 03 Springfield for me right now. I'm not sure I'd want a 45-120 in the No.1. Recoil in the standard barrel would be brutal. If you got a long barreled Tropical model (if it existed) then it might be okay. Good luck and let me know if it works out.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I plan on getting the NEF Buffao Classic in 45-70 and lengthen that to 45-120 or .450 Nitro Express. Most likely 45-120 since brass ad dies are a lot cheaper and they can be loaded to the same performance in a modern gun.

Jpt

This will put quite a bit of pressure on your bolt face in an NEF receiver. I think I would talk to NEF and see what they say about it before I put this up by my face. CB

Cheepshooter

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Pdcrig,

Good info! Thanks!

Modern 450 Nitro loads are under 45k PSI with a bearing surface of .955 in^2 for a load of ~43k LBS (cordite loads were 34k PSI, BP loads 22k PSI). .308 Win is ~60K PSI with a bearing suface of .743in^2 for a load of ~46K LBS and the NEF handles that with ease.

Jpt

ttt

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had one in .338 Mag. It was fantastically accurate. I sold it because it was just overkill for my hunting at the time. I really regret selling it.

TerryP

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
IDP4570, thanks for posting the pic of a Ruger #1 International.
The first one I ever saw had a low power Leupold variable glass and was chambered in 243 win.
To this day it is one of the coolest rifles I have ever shot and I've wanted one ever since..
I just dont see them often enough.
T.P.

Cedar Creek

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I used a #1 for several years- I was disappointed in the accuracy until I went to 50 grain bullets. It would keep three shots around 1/2”or less with W748 powder. I got a 1969 Remington 700 .22-250 because I needed a repeater for coyote calling and passed the #1 down to my hunting partner.

Latest posts

Top Bottom