Ruger American rifle ranch model in .300 blk

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cedar Creek

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have three Ruger American centerfires - great value & great accuracy. I have a standard .22-250 & .243 plus a compact .308. I can't find a thing to complain about.

Cedar Creek

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have three Ruger American centerfires - great value & great accuracy. I have a standard .22-250 & .243 plus a compact .308. I can't find a thing to complain about.

Cedar Creek

Awesome. That is what I keep hearing over and over and aside from my girlfriends SR22 I have had nothing but a shining impression of Ruger.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Now this may be something for a separate thread, if needed I will start a new one; But I was wondering... If I'm not wanting to surpress my rifle, what good is .300 BLK? Would I be better off going with a .308 and thank myself every time I buy ammo? I'm honestly looking to get a rifle of the above mentioned sort as a paper/tannerite destroyer/ pig killer/ maybe deer slayer. Just a good all around gun. Throw on a break (when appropriate), a bipod, and a modest scope and call it good.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Also, I already have an AR for varmits and such, so that spot is filled (for the time being). I'm just wanting a short, bull barreled, threaded barreled .30-ish caliber bolt gun. Pref with a picatinny rail scope mount.

scottb42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My understanding is that the allure of 300 BLK is that it works well for suppressed and / or short barreled applications, and for a 30 caliber cartridge requiring a minimal number of unique parts to run in an AR-15. Based on your comments it sounds like none of those applications light your fires, so I'd say go with the .308.

saddlebum

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't get the 300blk in a bolt gun,i understand it in a AR due to limitations of the platform but in a bolt gun there so many better choices

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
My intent with getting a .300blackout was to have a rifle for kids with little to no recoil, use .30 cal bullets and push them with next to no powder, and to suppress. I didn't buy if for it's muzzle energy. Even with a supersonic .300blackout load and the suppressor, there's still noise, much less than without the suppressor but it's still there. I'll probably never shoot a deer or a hog with a subsonic load. As far as the .308, I don't think the suppressor reduces muzzle blast enough to warrant the cost of the can for that application.............and I don't know why someone would want to load down a .308 to subsonic so that their can was fully utilized.

Reloading Rod

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have the Ruger Predator rifle in 308 very similar to the 300 Blackout, has a short 18 inch threaded barrel http://www.ruger.com/products/americanRiflePredator/specSheets/6974.html and shoots real well, with a nice trigger. If looking for a shorter barrel 308 it fits the bill for me. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the ruger rifles. As for the blackout, I also think you would be better off with the 308 for what you want to do, it will shoot greater distance and the ammo is a lot easier to find. I enjoy the 300 blackout for close range shooting and think it is a great pig caliber (but if I didn't reload I wouldn't have a blackout), but for deer at a distance and paper punching and tannerite shooting I would go with the 308.

Cedar Creek

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've never even seen a real, live .300 Blackout cartridge, but I would think that their case capacity and the short barrel bolt action combo would work well with the the Sierra 125 grain FP hollow point designed for .30-30 velocities or the Speer 110 grain HP Varminter bullet designed for .30-30.

After deer season I plan to test some .308 loads in my 18" Ruger American Compact using the 170 grain Remington CoreLokt .30-30 bullet loaded to about 2300 fps with IMR 4895 powder. I use this rifle for hunting thick stuff and carrying it on a Polaris Ranger. I'm currently using Sierra 125 grain pointed bullets loaded pretty fast. It has a 2X-7X Leupold compact scope. My experience has been that the thinner jacketed .30-30 bullets at moderate velocity match up really well with Oklahoma whitetails.

Cedar Creek

Latest posts

Top Bottom