Ruger American rifle ranch model in .300 blk

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have the Ruger Predator rifle in 308 very similar to the 300 Blackout, has a short 18 inch threaded barrel http://www.ruger.com/products/americanRiflePredator/specSheets/6974.html and shoots real well, with a nice trigger. If looking for a shorter barrel 308 it fits the bill for me. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the ruger rifles. As for the blackout, I also think you would be better off with the 308 for what you want to do, it will shoot greater distance and the ammo is a lot easier to find. I enjoy the 300 blackout for close range shooting and think it is a great pig caliber (but if I didn't reload I wouldn't have a blackout), but for deer at a distance and paper punching and tannerite shooting I would go with the 308.

And that is what I think my focus has shifted to. Although I think the stock is hideous. I'm also considering the always popular remington 700 sps in 308 as well. I feel it is worth the few extra bucks.

Super Dave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like it for what it is, and I like the idea of having the same caliber in more than one rifle. Also, and this is probably the main reason, I just want one. If the bolt action won't take AR magazines, then I am not interested in it at this time. That's a big part of the allure for me.

It is ballistically very similar to the 30/30, so I guess it would be useless for deer. No one has ever used a 30/30 for that ;)

Cedar Creek, I think you are spot on. Here is a little visual comparison for you.

That is 115 grain, travels at about 2280 fps, and 1344 ft lbs of energy.

I don't care about the suppressor factor. Not now anyway, as I don't own one. I like that I can have a bullet with at the very least twice the weight out of an otherwise normal AR, and hopefully a bolt gun with a 20 round magazine. I am not going to overthrow a country with it, or shoot 20 deer in a few minutes. I just think it's neato.

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not trying to hi-jack the thread, but I was in your boat and did a lot of research and shot a few different 300 blk rifles (8" SBR AR, Handi, Remy 7 and Remy 700). If you are going for pure quiet, the bolt actions are the way to go. With the rifles I tried, the Remington 700 was by far the best. Here's the issues I had with each:

SBR - still pretty loud with the action noise
Remy 7 - by far the worst out of all I tried. Had a 1/8 twist that wouldn't shoot for crap, and had lot of feeding issues. After doing some reading, both are known issues that plague this rifle.
Handi - Pretty slick, compact rifle, but would vertical string after a few shots.

The remy 700 is perfect and shoots like a dream. The hogue stock isn't that great, but it gets the job done and the bull barrel handles range sessions better. I've also read that the Ruger American's and other smaller profile hunting barrels, like the Savage Axis series, lose accuracy with the addition of a suppressor, because of the added weight. Not sure on this though as I haven't seen/tested it myself.

Now for the thread hijack. I'm actually selling a 300 blk remy 700. For my needs, I'd prefer a 308. I reload and can create the subs myself. To each their own. I'm done drinking the 300 blk koolaid for a bit. I might get a craving later on, but i'm going to give it a rest for awhile. Here's the add:

https://www.okshooters.com/showthread.php?207691-300-BLK-Bolt-Action

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I guess I'm not seeing where the .300blackout and the 30-30 are even remotely similar in performance. 125gr bullets out the 30-30 are going 300-400fps faster. 150gr bullets are going 200fps+ faster than a .300blackout with a 125gr bullet.

Super Dave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I guess I'm not seeing where the .300blackout and the 30-30 are even remotely similar in performance. 125gr bullets out the 30-30 are going 300-400fps faster. 150gr bullets are going 200fps+ faster than a .300blackout with a 125gr bullet.

You are right. It's more like a 7.62x39.

I am certain it will do for me, anyway!

HFS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The 300 blackout would be neat in a bolt rifle, if it was on a scaled-down action (like the little Mauser that CZ uses for the .223 and 7.62x39).

Since I'm not interested in a suppressor, I'm kind of intrigued by the 7.62x40mm Wilson Tactical round. I've read it's designed give higher velocity than the blackout with 110 - 125 grain bullets, but still use cut-down .223 brass and fit an AR-size action.
Unfortunately, as far as I know, it's only made by Wilson Combat. Unless you find a chamber reamer. :bah:

They have advertised dies and loaded ammo, but it's just a pipe dream for me, at this point.

http://wilsoncombat.com/new/762x40-project.asp

Super Dave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The 300 blackout would be neat in a bolt rifle, if it was on a scaled-down action (like the little Mauser that CZ uses for the .223 and 7.62x39).

Since I'm not interested in a suppressor, I'm kind of intrigued by the 7.62x40mm Wilson Tactical round. I've read it's designed give higher velocity than the blackout with 110 - 125 grain bullets, but still use cut-down .223 brass and fit an AR-size action.
Unfortunately, as far as I know, it's only made by Wilson Combat. Unless you find a chamber reamer. :bah:

They have advertised dies and loaded ammo, but it's just a pipe dream for me, at this point.

http://wilsoncombat.com/new/762x40-project.asp

Now THAT looks interesting!

Thanks!!

Latest posts

Top Bottom