Ruger FTE

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Friend of mine just picked up one of those fancy gray Novak sighted Ruger American compact pistols in 9mm. It’s pretty solid. Used, unknown amount of rounds through it. Likely not many, it has been well cared for as well. No holster wear or anything. While at the range today we put about 300rds of white box Winchester and yellow box browning, through it. Ended up having 14+ FTE, random occurrence, no stuck casings, all errors cleared easily. No damage to casings. Extractor spring and claw seem to be great, spring is strong and claw is sharp. Gun was clean before shooting, I disassembled and lubed it/hit the cases with a little lube, no difference. I was unable to replicate the issue, after 60 rounds fired. Both other shooters (5’2” 120lb women) has FTE issues.

my first reaction is that they’re “limp wristing” the gun. I do find that doubtful though, one of the shooters does great with smaller semi autos (her carry is a hellcat loaded with +p) as well as larger stuff such as 357 loads through small frames and my 10mm shooting Buffalo bore loads. This Ruger is honestly a soft shooter. How can I check for this limp wristing? Could it be a failure with the firearm?

SPDguns

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Check the little spring under the extractor. Make sure there's no garbage in the groove. Make sure the extractor cartridge cut is correct.
(I'm Captain Obvious)

Last edited:

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Check the little spring under the extractor. Make sure there's no garbage in the groove. Make sure the extractor cartridge cut is correct.
(I'm Captain Obvious)

haha sometimes captain obvious saves the day. Everything looks great. I’m really starting to think it’s just a weak wrist/forearm. Gave her some grip/forearm strengthening tips and I guess we’ll see how it goes from there.

any knowledge of Ruger’s warranty/repair stuff? I have heard they’re great about fixing issues and such, but would it apply to non original owners?

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
WWB ammo has a history of improperly loaded ammo. Weak loads, brass not crimped properly, etc. If the brass is failing to eject, as already said, limp wristing could be one cause. Weak ammo or a recoil spring that’s too strong could be another.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
They are great with their warranty. Does it malfunction when you shoot it? If not, it's probably the grip/wrist issue.

It does not, but I only shot about 30 rounds through it. Thats what I'm thinking. should hav another range day in a week or two and we'll see how things go.

WWB ammo has a history of improperly loaded ammo. Weak loads, brass not crimped properly, etc. If the brass is failing to eject, as already said, limp wristing could be one cause. Weak ammo or a recoil spring that’s too strong could be another.

It cycled just fine through a HK VP9, Springfield Hellcat, and a Glock 48. I doubt its the ammo. How can I tell if the recoil spring is "too Strong"? the slide is real smooth, if anything it feels like the recoil spring isn't putting up enough fight. Like a really well worn in pistol, contrary to how the rest of it looks.

Latest posts

Top Bottom