Ruger GP100 maintenance

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jstone

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Im pretty new to guns. I have a stainless gp100 and wondering what would be the best way to polish this gun. I have a dremel tool but just kinda curious on what polish i should use. Also got a cheap cleaning kit at walmart with the brass rods that connect and and learning that might have been a mistake purchase. Any cleaning kits you guys might suggest? I have a few rifles and have shot each of them maybe 2 to 3x each and think it might be time to clean them. (sks, mosin nagant, ruger 10/22, magtech .22, ruger SR9.) thanks in advance

Zombie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
definitely beyond time to clean them - the cleaning kit you bought better served with the rifles.

I am partial to items like the bore snake that you attach the bore brush to the cord or string and pull it through. Always go as the bullet travels.

I also reccomend something like regular clp/break free or a good solvent and lube.

polish wise a touch of something like the clp on a rag and a good wipe down not enough it is oily but to shine it basically

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
How do you do that with a revolver? With a bore snake I can see that, but no rod I have will fit from the chamber :D

I stick the rod in from the muzzle, then screw the brass brush on after I push the rod through. Then you just pull the rod back out, take off the brass brush, apply rinse repeat.

Now, I just use a bore snake.