Ruger GP100

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blutch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Having never owned a revolver - or any hang gun for that matter - What do I need to do to clean this thing before shooting it. I'm going to pick it up tomorrow morning.

B

leadfinger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Having never owned a revolver - or any hang gun for that matter - What do I need to do to clean this thing before shooting it. I'm going to pick it up tomorrow morning.

B

Probably nothing. But, if you want to get some Hobbes or Shooters Choice solvent, a .357 brush for the barrel, 2.25" cloth patches, and a cleaning rod, you can get the innards clean. You may want a.40 or .45 brush for the cylinders. Don't forget the oil afterwards for those required points. Much the same as a rifle.

kcatto

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
After I get mine tomorrow..... it comes home for a good cleaning and then in the old blasting cabinet.... gonna bead blast it for a satin finish....

blutch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Leadfinger, please explain to the noob what the "required points" are.

I have everything to do the cleaning, but need to get something for lube. Suggestions?

Thanks!

B

eby42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just picked mine up! I am in complete disbelief that I paid what I did for this thing. The condition is outstanding. I ordered one in box, and it even has a manual and a lock still in the package. Bargain is indeed a huge understatement; this is in the running for "deal of the century", ESPECIALLY with how many folks got in on it.

The ONLY thing I see on it, is a mark on the front sight. At first it looked like a scrape, but on further examination it sure looks like a poor attempt at a white paint job that has rubbed most of the way off. Did anybody else get one with paint left on the sight? Any tips for easy removal without messing up anything else?

Of course, huge thanks to all involved in making this happen!

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
eby, one of the ones I got did have white paint on the front site. Didn't worry too much, if it doesn't come off, I probably will end up changing to a fiber optic front anyways.

blutch, actually, there are very few places that you need to oil/grease on a Ruger revolver. If you over oil the gun, the oil will attract lint and specifically the carbon from the gunpowder, and will dirty the gun faster. So most of the gun you just want to clean well, and maybe oil lightly, then wipe afterwards with a clean cloth. Where you should oil, is the pin that the hammer rotates on, and the axle that the cylinder yoke hinges on. And, if you take it further apart, a drop on the cylinder axle is good. The rest of the gun should be very lightly if at all, but cleaned well.

The Ruger GP100 is a very robust design, so you shouldn't have to deep clean it that often unless your range trips involve multiple hundreds of rounds.

In fact, mine was very dirty, looked like it had been used as a napkin for a very juicy hamburger, and crud fell out of the cylinder like pepper, but it still functioned. So don't worry, if you don't do it "just right" you won't break the gun, and as you get more comfortable with taking it apart and putting it together, you'll get better and better at cleaning.

Enjoy the gun!

Latest posts

Top Bottom