Ruger MK III 22/45 & SWR Spectre

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

centraloklahoma

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I thought I would share some of my re kindled .22 LR addiction.

Originally this Ruger MK III 22/45 was a Model P512MKIII that I traded an old hunting rifle for. The guy I traded with said he had only shot two magazines out of it. After the trade I took it to the range and it shot great with bulk .22 ammo at the 25 meter range.

I sent it off to Tornado Technologies in Oregon for the barrel threading and
re finish job. It was a 4 month wait. They are super busy. Tornado Technologies is by far the absolute best at what they do. The quality work was well worth the wait.

I purchased a SWR Spectre .22 suppressor via my local dealer (THANKS MAJOR!!!!). It took 4 months to get the approval from BATF before receiving my Tax stamped
Form 4 back. The SWR Spectre is a solid and extremely well designed suppressor.

The pistol arrived back from Tornado Technologies the same week I took possession of the suppressor.

I picked up the Butler Creek Thumbsaver loading tool just in time as I have been shooting it quite a bit. The Thumbsaver is very inexpensive yet as I understand has been discontinued by Butler Creek. I purchased the Thumbsaver from Uniquetek.com

I read on Rimfirecentral about the Sam’s bushing that replaces the factory magazine safety and eliminates the magazine hang ups I had been having. I contacted Sam and obtained the bushing. The bushing was easy to install and the pistol performs great. Magazine changes are very easy now with no hang ups.

I am attaching a few photos including some with the SWR Spectre attached as well as photos with the Spectre taken apart showing some of the carbon build up that collects in it. The Spectre is easy to clean and maintain. I have been cleaning it between every 300-500 rounds.

I have been shooting various kinds of .22 out of this set up. CCI mini mags, CCI SGB (Small Game Bullet), Federal 40 grain lead bulk pack, Federal 36 grain copper bulk pack, Federal American Eagle 40 grain and Federal Classic 40 grain.

I have been using a great lubricant I get from Dillon Precision called "Snake
Oil". It does not collect dust or weapon gunk and the Ruger MK III 22/45 runs great with it.

The set up runs great. The suppressor is so quiet that you mainly hear three things.
1) the pistol cycling,
2) the projectiles hitting the cardboard backed target and,
3) the projectiles hitting the dirt back stop behind the target.

I have not replaced or modified any other parts in the pistol. I have not had any failures to feed, cycle, fire, or eject. The fired casings eject about two to three meters to the right and a meter forward of the shooter.

CP

PHOTOS

ai697.photobucket.com_albums_vv339_Oklahoma73073_RugerMKIII22_45.jpg

ai697.photobucket.com_albums_vv339_Oklahoma73073_RugerMKIII22_45_1.jpg

ai697.photobucket.com_albums_vv339_Oklahoma73073_RugerMKIII22_45_2.jpg

ai697.photobucket.com_albums_vv339_Oklahoma73073_RugerMKIII22_45_3.jpg

ai697.photobucket.com_albums_vv339_Oklahoma73073_RugerMKIII22_45_4.jpg

cowzrul

Distinguished 1998
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Very nice. I bought a MKIII 22/45 a few weeks ago. Replaced the bushing with a Clark bushing, oversized sear pin, Volq extractor, Volq sear and Volq trigger. I bought some custom .45 grips from a guy on rimfirecentral but haven't put them on yet. I took it out and ever single type of .22 ammo I feed it shot beautifully! After seeing your nice setup I may just get another one for backyard plinking.

Latest posts

Top Bottom