Ruger Mk III misfeeds

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RetCapt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just bought a new Ruger Mk III Hunter 22/45. Great fun to shoot, haven't owned a .22 since the 1970s. First time out, I had one horrible time getting the thing to shoot a full magazine without misfeeds, stovepipes, or FTE's. Ammo used is Eley Sport LR std velocity.

Had better luck after I discovered the shooting went better if I held the button on the mag down and let the rounds fall into place. Not like the .45 where it takes some pressure to get 'er done. Improved, but still not good.

Went shootin' today and had fewer FTE's, but still averaged about 1 per magazine load. :cry3:

Is this new gun screwed up? Is there a break-in period and it's normal, or at least not unusual for this to happen? Or is the 22/45 one of those guns that has an appetite for some brands and will just puke with others?:scratch:

What think ye?

ai577.photobucket.com_albums_ss214_JagDrvr_Guns_2245a.jpg

savedbygrace

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Most 22 pistols are ammo sensative but your ruger should not be that finiky. Try switching ammo and make sure it is high velocity that is what ruger recomends in thier pistols. I have a mark III and I get an occasional misfeed or stove pipe but maybe just once or twice per box of ammo. I've used the cheap Remington thunderbolt, Winchester bulk, and aguila all high velocity. The aquila has been 100% reliable in my mark III. Hope this helps.

superA

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I would say break it in and then weed them out. My 10/22 will shoot anything besides Remington bricks and Winchester bricks, it will shoot them but I get the FTF, FTE issues in about one out of thirty cause they are duds or weak.

okienate

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Break-in may be playing a part, but I've never found a .22 lr pistol that shot/fed any differently from the first round all the way to after a couple thousand rounds. I'm not convinced you have a break-in issue, but have at it to be sure. (Hard to have a .22lr and not shoot the thing all the time!)

The 22/45 was set up with a 1911-type grip angle. Kinda neat, but also a fairly large compromise from the original intent of the Ruger platform. Because the grip angle, and for the most part the magazine angle, aka the feed angle of your ammo, is NOT optimized for feeding .22 lr, it will be WAY more picky on the ammo you use than a regular Mark III Ruger pistol.

Just keep sampling different ammo type, keep the little fella clean, and you should be able to find a combination that will work with your particular piece.

Good luck and keep shooting! (PS CCI has a wonderful selection of ammo that may work better than the bulk boxed stuff found at WM.)

superA

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Break-in may be playing a part, but I've never found a .22 lr pistol that shot/fed any differently from the first round all the way to after a couple thousand rounds. I'm not convinced you have a break-in issue, but have at it to be sure. (Hard to have a .22lr and not shoot the thing all the time!)

The 22/45 was set up with a 1911-type grip angle. Kinda neat, but also a fairly large compromise from the original intent of the Ruger platform. Because the grip angle, and for the most part the magazine angle, aka the feed angle of your ammo, is NOT optimized for feeding .22 lr, it will be WAY more picky on the ammo you use than a regular Mark III Ruger pistol.

Just keep sampling different ammo type, keep the little fella clean, and you should be able to find a combination that will work with your particular piece.

Good luck and keep shooting! (PS CCI has a wonderful selection of ammo that may work better than the bulk boxed stuff found at WM.)

I don't know man, I will have the same problems over and over again with Winchester and Remington bricks over and over again but not with Federal or Blazer. And my 10/22 feed like **** for the first 150 or so rounds, I almost got rid of it and decided to keep at it, I'm very glad I did. I now have a 22 that I trust as much as my AK-47.

AirMech74

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I first got my MK II, it did the same thing, I thought it was the ammo, switched up and the same thing kept happening...so I finally changed out the extractor with a Volquartsen extractor and the problem went away. It will spit out any brand I feed it with no problems. We did the same thing with my Dad's MKIII 22/45.

tul9033

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My Bro got a MKIII a few months ago and has had the same problems. Sent it back to Ruger and they sent it back saying it was fixed. Same thing kept happening after he got it back. He said out of 50 rounds had 13 FTF or FTE.
He spoke to the Ruger repair tech and he said he shot 50 rounds through it without a problem and the gun was assembled wrong... Whatever, still doesn't shoot right.
Spoke with a sup and he says they will fix it this time or replace it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom