Ruger mkiii 22/45

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

piston10

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I traded for one yesterday with my good buddy druryj. I really really like it, it's the all black one with the shorter barrel. I have heard how difficult it is to take down and reassemble when cleaning. So I decided to watch a YouTube video and then gave it a try. What a horrible experience! I'm no expert, but I have never had any trouble with my other guns like I did this. At one point I was bleeding, sweating, and cussing. After a good 20 min of hell, I managed to get the damn thing back together. Topping it off, I managed to scratch the sight. My buddy druryj said he can do it in 2 minutes and promised me a lesson!! What a total pain the first time. Thank goodness for YouTube or I would have been really screwed.

indi

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had to watch youtube about 5 times before I got my mki together. Its a major PITA. Took me way more than 20 min. I can do it alot quicker now, BUT ITS STILL A PITA.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You must learn to remain calm; young Grasshoppa's. :sunbath: Either YOU own the Ruger or the RUGER owns you. Which shall it be; Grasshoppa? :owned3:

okietom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought four of those for my family two years ago for Christmas. One of the first things I did was to buy the MK 2 hammer bushing and take the magazine safety out. They are a major PITA to break down and reassemble. Taking that safety out makes reassembly a little less painful.

I can tell you for a fact that out of four pistols one of them was much tighter than the others and it is still hard to break down. They do get easier the more times you do it.

The best thing about removing the magazine safety is that the mags will drop out after you remove the safety. The hammer bushing costs under ten bucks from Volquartsen. If you keep the pistol you should do it.

piston10

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought four of those for my family two years ago for Christmas. One of the first things I did was to buy the MK 2 hammer bushing and take the magazine safety out. They are a major PITA to break down and reassemble. Taking that safety out makes reassembly a little less painful.

I can tell you for a fact that out of four pistols one of them was much tighter than the others and it is still hard to break down. They do get easier the more times you do it.

The best thing about removing the magazine safety is that the mags will drop out after you remove the safety. The hammer bushing costs under ten bucks from Volquartsen. If you keep the pistol you should do it.

I will check into this, thanks for the tip!

Latest posts

Top Bottom