Ruger rimfires

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Should I be running these wet, dry or moist like an excited woman ? ( dirty old man ) A 10/22 take down and a MK IV.. I've been running them basically dry and their performance is not as good as I had hoped for.. Neither have a ton of rds yet so maybe they'll get better with some more wear ? I have a Colt / Walther M4-22 that will run far more rounds before a hiccup and it's run a wee bit moist..

Last edited:

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
If you bought them new I would break them down and clean them. Light oil on mating surfaces. The new 10/22’s can take a little work and patience to get them to cycle reliably.

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a 30 year old 10/22 that I got when it waq 14/15 and it’s never failed to cycle after thousands of rounds.

LOL, I'm 59 and function better than kids today, the old motto they make'em like they used to.. On the 10/22 I'm thinkin it's going to be the fore and aft play of the mags.. The mags have more wobble than the old wasr's..

Last edited:

emapples

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
LOL, I'm 59 and function better than kids today, the old motto they make'em like they used to.. On the 10/22 I'm thinkin it's going to be the fore and aft play of the mags.. The mags have more wobble than the old wasr's..
It could be poor quality control on 22 ammo , I know the 10/22 won’t cycle the Aquila sub sonic rounds at all

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It could be poor quality control on 22 ammo , I know the 10/22 won’t cycle the Aquila sub sonic rounds at all

Most other semi-auto rimfire rifles and handguns won't cycle that or anything like it, such as CCI Quiets, in my experience.

Now, as to the OP's issue: Can't say much to help on the 10/22, but for the MK IV, break it down, then clean and lube, as @dlbleak 's post above. Use a light oil, absolutely no grease or motor oil. Something like Rem Oil or any other really light oil. It doesn't have to be dripping wet, just a light coat of light weight oil is fine. Then run a couple hundred 40 grain CCI Mini Mags through it. The 40 grain round nose is best; they will just perform just a tad bit better than the 36 grain CCI HP's for this purpose, IMO. After that, repeat the clean and lube process and see how it's running. If that doesn't work, bring it to me with all your .22 LR ammo and I'll take it from there.

In all seriousness, my MK IV will cycle about anything now except the CCI Quiet and similar really low-powered ammo, like the Aquila sub sonic rounds @emapples had a problem with. If you'll do as suggested, yours should to.

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Most other semi-auto rimfire rifles and handguns won't cycle that or anything like it, such as CCI Quiets, in my experience.

Now, as to the OP's issue: Can't say much to help on the 10/22, but for the MK IV, break it down, then clean and lube, as @dlbleak 's post above. Use a light oil, absolutely no grease or motor oil. Something like Rem Oil or any other really light oil. It doesn't have to be dripping wet, just a light coat of light weight oil is fine. Then run a couple hundred 40 grain CCI Mini Mags through it. The 40 grain round nose is best; they will just perform just a tad bit better than the 36 grain CCI HP's for this purpose, IMO. After that, repeat the clean and lube process and see how it's running. If that doesn't work, bring it to me with all your .22 LR ammo and I'll take it from there.

In all seriousness, my MK IV will cycle about anything now except the CCI Quiet and similar really low-powered ammo, like the Aquila sub sonic rounds @emapples had a problem with. If you'll do as suggested, yours should to.

SOP, for a new gun.. Both have been disassembled cleaned and lightly oiled with slip2000, it'll be next weekend before I shoot again unless I play hooky from work.. The MK IV probably hasn't seen the 300 rd mark yet and all ammo is HV.. If there was a drum mag for it I'd be farther along but with 4 - 10rounders it's slow going.. Mags are now loaded with CCI 40g Christmas ammo red&green polymer coated I picked up at Atwoods last year..

Not saying its right or wrong, but I run mine on the wet side. They always get a squirt before going to the range.

If next week is the same as today, more oil will come..
Thanks Ya'll..

Latest posts

Top Bottom