Russian surplus 5.45 ammo reclassified by the ATF

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

warmep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I realize this happened in April, did anyone else hear about this?

From https://www.atf.gov/press/releases/2014/04/040714-special-advisory-test-examination-and-classification-7n6-545x39-ammunition.html:

When ATF tested the 7N6 samples provided by CBP, they were found to contain a steel core. ATF’s analysis also concluded that the ammunition could be used in a commercially available handgun, the Fabryka Bronie Radom, Model Onyks 89S, 5.45x39 caliber semi-automatic pistol, which was approved for importation into the United States in November 2011. Accordingly, the ammunition is “armor piercing” under the section 921(a)(17)(B)(i) and is therefore not importable. ATF’s determination applies only to the Russian-made 7N6 ammunition analyzed, not to all 5.45x39 ammunition.

I guess say goodbye to cheap surplus 5.45 ammo

sixlimericks

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
eventhough there's still a lot in country, that's the main reason I decided against a 5.45 upper for practice and drills. and I thought I was gonna be shooting on the cheap for years!

aestus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
5.45 ammo produced by wolf, tula, ect. is still fairly cheap. I would say about $30 cheaper for 1000 rounds than getting steel cased .223.

For some people, this is not enough and would push people to shooting .223 rifles again. For others, the $30 is worth it.

leemozoid

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've got four spam cans of 7N6 and an Adams Arms piston 16" upper. Guess I'm lucky in two ways!

Can't wait to run it with the Slide Fire. I love the smell of failed communism in the morning!

Latest posts

Top Bottom