Rust in mosin barrel.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gfercaks33

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I thought about that. I'll attempt to get a pic to see what I'm working with. Pretty much what happens is a deter I clean it the land looks reddish if I leave it it get the surface rust.

Boehlertaught

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I agree if the barrel is brown the scrubbing to try to get it bright will do more damage. I use the old GI bore cleaner in the little green cans. It's great for neutralizing salts. Then finish up with Hoppes. Oh, and I use only nylon bristle brushes. Never metal of any kind.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Any one in the city have it

Not likely. I think a mixture of ATF and acetone has been know to work well as a penetrating oil for rusty fasteners. I don't know how well it would work in your situation. Ed's Red has been said to work well in guns that see corrosive ammo. You can find recipes for mixing up a batch of your own.

milsurp2.0

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Before you break the bank with kroil, get a can of GI bore cleaner( the old black nasty stinky stuff),plug the muzzle with an ear plug and fill it up to the chamber. Let it sit for a few days. After that rinse with hot soapy water after shooting.

Latest posts

Top Bottom