Rut in the Wichita Mts ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jemayes

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have drawn a Buck tag for the Wichita Mts. has anyone been on this hunt if so, What stage of the rut is going on in the area? here in the N.E part of the state were just getting into the good part of pre-rut. Anyone down south able to help me out? will rattling be good yet?

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You better give us some dates. I'm not from down there but have some buds that are. The rut is going strong during rifle season usually. Good luck. I have had buddies draw that hunt and they say it is unbelievable good. Hope it is for you. They say don't shoot the first buck you see, there are some whoppers.

crazyfish

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I was drawn for an elk hunt there two years ago. I saw a bunch of deer and several large bucks. The first evening I watched a pretty big 9 pt trail a doe for several minutes. Then all of a sudden he looked into the trees and took off. I couldn't figure out why until a massive 12 pt came out and took his place.

lameduck

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Usually just before Thanksgiving is the peak of the rut in that area. You should be alright with rattling. Most people don't know that rattling works year round, just not nearly as good as during the rut.

Latest posts

Top Bottom