Rye seed ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
be careful introducing rye into an area. it is very invasive to wheat fields even from grassy areas and can cause some farmers a lot of money in dockage to their crop. as for Italian rye grass, it is even more difficult to get rid of and can even choke out a crop. just trying to keep you out of trouble if you lease. I wouldn't plant anything that could cause my neighbors any harm

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
be careful introducing rye into an area. it is very invasive to wheat fields even from grassy areas and can cause some farmers a lot of money in dockage to their crop. as for Italian rye grass, it is even more difficult to get rid of and can even choke out a crop. just trying to keep you out of trouble if you lease. I wouldn't plant anything that could cause my neighbors any harm

Your exactly correct. It can cost lots of money to get rid of it.
Buy Feed wheat for about 6$ a 50 lb bag and broadcast it heavily on the first of September. Its a grass, and if it get enough moisture, it will germinate on top of the bare ground. Its best if you can cover it though. The deer like it better than rye, and your not hurting your neighbors. Rye can wash down streams, and be spread by animal feces that eat it and spread the seed to different fields while moving around. I can't believe they even allow that to be sold.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
if you really want something to draw deer plant some purple hull peas or turnips

I like to mix turnips with the wheat. I really screwed up the first year I tried to put turnip seeds in the wheat drill. Put half a pound of them in there thinking they would be distributed with the wheat through out the field, but they all went right to the bottom and went into one row. I don't know how many 10's of thousand seeds are in a half pound, but we had the thickest turnip crop you've ever seen:D
It was ok though, we like to eat the turnips, and the turnip greens are really good too. We did leave some for the deer.:D

Now, I just keep a bag of them on the tractor, and scatter them lightly while making rounds.

Latest posts

Top Bottom