S&W 340PD ... smoothing out the trigger

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
just scored a 340PD ... been looking for one for sometime.

as always can't leave thing well enough alone. tore into 340PD to remove the locking plate. five minutes later had it removed.

thought to myself.... might as well smooth out the trigger, while I'm in there. broke out my stones and proceeded to stone every component that rubbed against anything.

then ground off .025in diameter thickness, from trigger return spring. left the main trigger spring alone, didn't want to effect reliability.

sear, hammer and trigger ramp all got stoned, being careful not to exceed the .005in case hardening.

it was all going so smooth... until it was time to put it back together...
was installing the index blade... when the tiny torsion hand spring launched ... arrrgggggg....

spent the next 2 hours looking for it.... no dice... by that time it was 2am. time to call it quits.

next day... got lucky, Sportsworld had a spare torsion hand spring and I was back in business.

quickly got 340PD back together taking care to lube all rub points with moly. then dry fired 100+ times... this 340PD is getting SMOOOOTH....

also picked up a box of Fiocchi .357 125grn SJHP rated at 1450 fps... should be fun

ahome.tulsaconnect.com_toug_cpf_340pd3.JPG

ahome.tulsaconnect.com_toug_cpf_340pd2.JPG

Retops

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The SW340PD is one of the easiest pistols to tote that I ever used. The trigger out of the box is gritty although legend has it that it will smooth out over time. Mine is seldom shot so the smoothing will have to be dry fire.

Sounds like you have made some real improvements.

Tootie

New to the site!
Reaction score
here's the ez to follow instructions on youtube .... after you get the lock part out... note the tiny size of spring that causes failure. spring on 340PD was still in good shape, but my older 337PD's spring was ready to fail.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVPYgohVCNM

Superb instructional video - informative, professional and to the point. I wish I had seen this long ago.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
just scored a 340PD ... been looking for one for sometime.

as always can't leave thing well enough alone. tore into 340PD to remove the locking plate. five minutes later had it removed.

thought to myself.... might as well smooth out the trigger, while I'm in there. broke out my stones and proceeded to stone every component that rubbed against anything.

then ground off .025in diameter thickness, from trigger return spring. left the main trigger spring alone, didn't want to effect reliability.

sear, hammer and trigger ramp all got stoned, being careful not to exceed the .005in case hardening.

it was all going so smooth... until it was time to put it back together...
was installing the index blade... when the tiny torsion hand spring launched ... arrrgggggg....

spent the next 2 hours looking for it.... no dice... by that time it was 2am. time to call it quits.

next day... got lucky, Sportsworld had a spare torsion hand spring and I was back in business.

quickly got 340PD back together taking care to lube all rub points with moly. then dry fired 100+ times... this 340PD is getting SMOOOOTH....

also picked up a box of Fiocchi .357 125grn SJHP rated at 1450 fps... should be fun

home.tulsaconnect.com_toug_cpf_340pd2.JPG

WOW .. blast from the past ..

here's S&W 340PD showing wear and tear from daily carry 4+ years later.
lots of shots fired .. still butter smooooth ..

img.photobucket.com_albums_v186_o0pss_DSC04161.jpg

Bevenue

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
WOW .. blast from the past ..

here's S&W 340PD showing wear and tear from daily carry 4+ years later.
lots of shots fired .. still butter smooooth ..

img.photobucket.com_albums_v186_o0pss_DSC04161.jpg

What you get on it to make the finish so foggy?

Heres mine I adopted 4 years ago last Thursday.

Attachments

• CAM00252.jpg
    CAM00252.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 217
  • CAM00222.jpg
    CAM00222.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 221

Latest posts

Top Bottom