S&W 342PD vs 337PD

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Well my hat's off to you then!

I could even pull it off with my (GED's) mdl 12. I guess I need to get to practicing more again...

Its no big deal, it just requires practice, like martial arts(which is what it is) you don't learn it overnight, practice, practice, and more till it becomes second nature. Its a PITA sometimes, but the results are great when you get out on the range.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I typically don't have trouble with the trigger, but when the hammer falls, it jerks the gun enough to knock the coin off. And I can hit what I'm aiming at.

I still need lots of practice, but time and dryfire I can afford!

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I typically don't have trouble with the trigger, but when the hammer falls, it jerks the gun enough to knock the coin off. And I can hit what I'm aiming at.

I still need lots of practice, but time and dryfire I can afford!

If its falling due to the hammer falling, it may be your grip, either to tight, or not tight enough. You could also be poping the trigger at the last moment. All things to be considered and looked at next time you do some dryfire practice. The gun is only 1% of the equation the other 99% is you the platform.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I'll have to go home and try. That's part of why I think I'd really improve from a good shooting course. I've shot enough that I know it's me (and my technique) that needs improvement to get better.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I'll have to go home and try. That's part of why I think I'd really improve from a good shooting course. I've shot enough that I know it's me (and my technique) that needs improvement to get better.

There in lies the problem, a good school to attend. Most are there to make money not shooters. Such is our world today where everyone seems to worship at the alter of the dollar. Nothing wrong with making a buck, but it seems that every week another shooting school opens to show you how to re-invent the wheel. Please do your homework carefully on finding a good school, stay away from the ones that hype one gun over the other, and full of instructors that are full on themselves, because once you learn bad its even harder to fix later on. I know everyone has opinion's and those are mine right or wrong. I've been lucky to have some really good instructors from my grandfather on up. I don't pretend to be something I'm not, and will help anyone who ask's, and ask nothing in return. I offer my knowledge for free. I would rather pass it on, than halfass it, and charge for it. But thats just me. I would be more than happy to get together with you and help you out. All you have to do is bring your gun and ammo.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
All tips are appreciated!!!

holy cow.... if you can actually do this practice with an 11 oz gun.
no matter what I do ... the dime will not stay on... gun can be firmly placed on a rest and dime still pops off.

with the laser verifying final bullet placement. no question improvement is slowly coming.

with my kingly 150 rounds stash of .38 ammo (hey it's better than 20 rounds)... headed for the sand springs range soon.

Perfect practice makes perfect!! Yes it will work, just takes more time. I have done it with an airweight, just to show a class I was teaching it could be done. I taught firearm courses for a couple of security companies back in Georgia where the only thing allowed was a revolver. All I can say is that everyone who graduated my class could shoot and hitwhat they were shooting at. Most of them hated my basic training drills, and dryfiring till they got to the range. Then it was wow, so thats why you made us do that??!!

By the way, its not just the airweights, its tough with all J-frames due to the coilspring mainspring. They are all a bi&ch to learn that way.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I'll for sure let you know if I'm ever down that way. Thanks for the offer! Unfortunately I don't have any relatives who are shooters. So no helpful tips, and probably no heirloom guns either.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
All tips are appreciated!!!

holy cow.... if you can actually do this practice with an 11 oz gun.
no matter what I do ... the dime will not stay on... gun can be firmly placed on a rest and dime still pops off.

with the laser verifying final bullet placement. no question improvement is slowly coming.

with my kingly 150 rounds stash of .38 ammo (hey it's better than 20 rounds)... headed for the sand springs range soon.

Keep working it, it will come.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
_CY_, another tip I've found helpful when trying to master the trigger, is after shooting a couple rounds, load the next cylinder some live, some empties, then when you're shooting you don't know which are live and which aren't. It will make it very evident if you are jerking the trigger. If the gun goes "click" and the muzzle jerks, you are still anticipating the recoil.

Latest posts

Top Bottom