S&W Model 986 Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What cleaning solvent should I use on a Titanium cylinder?? Joel said a while back not to use metal brushes on them and them some folks on the S&W forum said not to use Hoppe's No. 9 on Titanium.

Which solvent should I use?

Thanks.

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What cleaning solvent should I use on a Titanium cylinder?? Joel said a while back not to use metal brushes on them and them some folks on the S&W forum said not to use Hoppe's No. 9 on Titanium.

Which solvent should I use?

Thanks.

I haven't encountered any cases of a Ti cylinder being damaged by Hoppes, only blued finishes. Any standard solvent should not damage the coating. Just don't use anything more abrasive than a nylon brush.

The snobs on S&W forum don't actually use any of the guns in their collection to get them dirty do they?

Last edited:

Engineman1960

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
According to the Smith & Wessons Owners Manual:
Link for the Modern Smith & Wesson revolvers:

https://snwcdnprod.azureedge.net/si...S&W_JKLN_Revolver_Manual_112119_416560000.pdf

Page: 26:
CAUTION: Revolvers with Titanium-Alloy cylinders

• Titanium alloy cylinders weigh approximately 60% of what a similarly sized stainless steel cylinder weighs and yet is able to withstand the same operating pressures. Care and cleaning of the revolver’s titanium alloy cylinder consists of normal gun cleaning procedures using high quality gun oil and cleaning solvents when necessary. However, under NO circumstances should the cylinder’s chambers (charge holes) or front face be cleaned with an abrasive material such as sand paper, Scotch BriteTM, Crocus Cloth, etc. To do so will disrupt its protective surface layer and greatly reduce the cylinder’s service life because of excessive erosion that will take place while firing and will void your revolver’s warranty.

Page 31:

CAUTION: Some cleaners can cause damage to your firearms. You should avoid prolonged solvent immersion and prolonged ultrasonic cleaning of your firearm. Choice of solvent should be restricted to those products specifically developed for firearms maintenance. Damage to a firearm’s finish may occur if these cautions are ignored. Ammoniated solvents or other strong alkaline solvents, should not be used on any Smith & Wesson firearm.

According to the manufacture's Hoppe’s #9 ( I didn’t know Hoppe’s was owned by Bushnell); Shooter’s Choice MC-7; and MPro 7 does not contain Ammonia.

I had an S&W 329PD years ago -- Keeping the Titanium cylinder was a pain -- I was trying to keep it like new (don’t shoot it -- that wasn’t in the picture for me).

I like the suggestion of your favorite non-ammonia based cleaner and nylon brush.

Lots of choices; please keep us posted !!!!!!!

zipty6

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'd use Hoppes Elite or MPro 7 and avoid anything abrasive. The key is to avoid compromising the coating on the front face of the cylinder.

I used Hoppes Elite and a nylon bristled brush after the few times that I was bold enough to shoot my 296.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
According to the manufacture's Hoppe’s #9 ( I didn’t know Hoppe’s was owned by Bushnell); Shooter’s Choice MC-7; and MPro 7 does not contain Ammonia.
The Hoppes #9 Synthetic Blend is OK in titanium but the old original #9 bore solvent definitely does contain ammonium hydroxide. Granted it's not a lot but I know of a guy ruining his Colt Combat Commander's satin nickel finish with it. No way I'd use the old stuff on Ti.
https://www.hoppes.com/on/demandwar.../sds/04e3a446-2860-4fdd-9e91-49ea662e5830.pdf

O/P: Ballistol should be good to go on it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom