Safe recommendations ??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheLastDaze

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I like multiple safes in lieu of one Huge One. I have a few of the Liberty's that have served me good for many years, all fire proof. Years ago I had the biggest one that Armor Vault builds as well as a HUGE Bear, was building homes and moving into them and it was PURE HELL to move them two BEHEMOTH things, sold them both and went with multiple smaller ones that you don't have to use a winch truck to move them. I recently stopped over on my way to hunt in Arkansas in Tulsa and checked out the safes that are advertised on Arms List all the time, they have some nice fire proof safes and are as reasonable as I have seen, might check them out.

if this place is off of 44 I know where you are talking about....I'll have to check that out....

bear seems built that's for sure....

I think I will go a little bigger then I think I need, I have a small safe 3cf for documents etc...

then there's the fact that I just spent a ton of money taking the fam out of the country....

I need to clear my credit card next month then price won't be to big a deal, originally I was looking to spend under 1k but looks like that's a minimum...

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I dont remember if I already said this but one thing that sold me on Bear is there is no access to the key lock for a drill, hammer, or any other tool that could damage it. If you have a keypad or dial, what do you think a burgle is going to do? Hes going to use a hammer or other tool to destroy it to try and gain entry. They wont get in of course but now neither will you until you call a safe repair guy out and pay $600 for his service.

COZICAN

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have ArmorVault also and really like it. Buy big enough and you can store extra fire boxes for documents etc. I have 3 9x12 fire boxes in mine. Easy to access and secure.

FullAuto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I always wonder if Bear were made in another state if they'd get a single recommendation. On larger forums, they are never even mentioned. It's not that they are a bad safe, but they are the same price or more than the mid-range Liberty and Amsec models and aren't anywhere near the fit and finish of them. I don't see how they offer any superior protection either.

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I always wonder if Bear were made in another state if they'd get a single recommendation. On larger forums, they are never even mentioned. It's not that they are a bad safe, but they are the same price or more than the mid-range Liberty and Amsec models and aren't anywhere near the fit and finish of them. I don't see how they offer any superior protection either.

On a safe with an electronic lock or a dial safe a burglar only has to take a hammer to the dial or lock and you're screwed until you can get a locksmith out to open it. How is a burglar going to attack the locking system on a Bear Safe or ArmorVault???? That's where they offer superior protection.

Camach

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
On a safe with an electronic lock or a dial safe a burglar only has to take a hammer to the dial or lock and you're screwed until you can get a locksmith out to open it. How is a burglar going to attack the locking system on a Bear Safe or ArmorVault???? That's where they offer superior protection.

What's stopping someone from just picking the lock on the Bear or ArmorVault?

Edit*
I know nothing about picking locks or if certain locks are harder to pick than others.

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What's stopping someone from just picking the lock on the Bear or ArmorVault?
Edit*
I know nothing about picking locks or if certain locks are harder to pick than others.

You may want to take a look at the location of the locks on both the Bear and ArmorVault and that will answer your question.

FullAuto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I still have my guns, right? It would be an inconvenience if my lock was damaged, but at least I wouldn't have to pay to have it repaired. I don't I think I've ever seen a gun safe being defeated from the locking system anyway. They are usually cut through on site or hauled off to be defeated elsewhere. But I've always considered lock type more of a personal preference. I did not want a key lock. That did weigh heavily. After I researched the safes more, had I have wanted a key lock, I still would have bought a different brand.

Comparing my safe to the biggest Bear made (as I did when I made my decision), mine is larger, has a nicer fit and finish (both exterior and interior), has thicker steel plate on the body, door plate twice as thick, a better warranty and cost less. I didn't really buy into Bear's fire ratings because they are pretty much the only major brand that doesn't test... anything. Bear might as well have a fire rating of "surface of the sun for all eternity". It's their story, they can make it as big as they want.

Bear just seems like a great safe of the 70s & 80s that never evolved.

Latest posts

Top Bottom