Sage Dynamics Red Dot study

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Question, what are the pros and cons to getting your slide milled on a glock vs getting a MOS? Not really worried about cost differences.

I have a G45, like it a lot but I'd like to try an RMR set up on it. Can't find a MOS locally, probably could order one. But thinking about just sending the slide here... http://www.battlewerx.com

Seems easier than selling what I have and trying to find a G45 MOS.

Gunbuffer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m using a 507c on two of my competition Glocks right now. They have been rick solid and I really like the circle-dot reticle. I started with a RMR and moved to the 507c. I’m very tempted to put one on a carry gun now, replacing a RMR.

I’ve been very successful shooting the 507c.
Cardboard don’t shoot back son

Gunbuffer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We are not using a co-witness. In my mind, the whole reason for an rds is to eliminate the multi focal plane and keep it one focal plane. The dot is simply a rear sight and if the dot is there, the path of the bullet will be the same. I’ve tried placement of dot in numerous areas of the optic and it doesn’t affect shot placement, and i knew it wouldn’t but I wanted to be able to answer that to my guys/gals. Some think that the dot has to be right on top of the front sight, which then makes you focus on your red dot, which is not what you want to do...

Irons are simply there in the event the rds goes down so you have sights to aim.

The MOS plates are garbage, that’s why we went with the CHPWS plates. They are solid, well milled and give lots of real estate for the screws to set. I don’t see any issues with them at all. If you run MOS, those are a must.
Once you go dot for defensive carry, do you think there’s a danger of dabbling in irons once in a while?
Say you 100% carry a rds glock but you like to go plink regularly and pull out the irons to play with.id think there’s a crossover time between both techniques where you’re subpar w both

ef9turbo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Question, what are the pros and cons to getting your slide milled on a glock vs getting a MOS? Not really worried about cost differences.

I have a G45, like it a lot but I'd like to try an RMR set up on it. Can't find a MOS locally, probably could order one. But thinking about just sending the slide here... http://www.battlewerx.com

Seems easier than selling what I have and trying to find a G45 MOS.

Honestly a milled is better than a plate. If you don't care about the price, I'd go milled over MOS. You have less parts involved and with a reputable shop that mills a lot, it'll be a better set up. The RDS will also sit lower and may be easier for a person to learn. We opted for MOS because it's readily available for departments and lessens the financial burden.

ef9turbo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Once you go dot for defensive carry, do you think there’s a danger of dabbling in irons once in a while?
Say you 100% carry a rds glock but you like to go plink regularly and pull out the irons to play with.id think there’s a crossover time between both techniques where you’re subpar w both

I'm not sure honestly. I've heard both, that you'll get better with irons and that you'll get worse. I dry fire quite a bit still with irons because it is a skill you can lose. I don't shoot as much as I used to, but I do put both irons and RDS in play when I do get out to shoot. Right now I feel like my foundation on irons is pretty decent, so I'm trying to build that foundation on an RDS. I personally won't go RDS 100% of the time just because I don't want to lose that skill.

Latest posts

Top Bottom