Saiga 12 or Mossberg 590?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okshooter6

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know very little about shotguns other than knowing that I want one. I want one for home defense and I want one that looks intimidating. I like the look of the mossberg better but I like the semi auto functionality of the saiga better. My budget is around 700 dollars which means I probably wouldn't be able to do much in terms of upgrading if I got the saiga. My fear is that the assault weapons ban will be implemented and I won't be able to get any high capacity magazines if I purchase the saiga. Also, is it possible to load a round into the saiga without having a clip?

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have both. The 590 is an awesome basic pump 12 shotty. The Saiga is an awesome auto. Both would work well for HD, but if you're not going to spend a lot of time shooting it in practice, the Mossberg is probably a better bet.

Some trainers would disagree, in that the pump is most often malfunction induced by short stroking, but the manual of arms for the auto is much more complicated. The Saiga can be ammo sensitive, but the Mossy is not.

If you're willing to spend the time, money and ammo to master the Saiga, it will have more capability, particularly when modded. If not, stick with the tried and true 590.

FWIW, just because I have the most incredible combat shotgun readily available to the public (Tromix Saiga), I refuse to sell my 18" 590 A-1.

Quick_Draw_McGraw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'll make you a deal...I'll sell you my 590 for your $700. :D

But seriously, I didn't realize the 590s were so scarce these days?

The 590 A-1 literally might be the hardest gun to find right now.

Unlike the AR makers, it doesn't seem like Mossberg ramped up production to get ready for a gun ban rush.

Latest posts

Top Bottom