Saiga 12 or Mossberg 590?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mons meg

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That being said, you can replace the plastic safety switch on the 590 with a part from Mossberg and a screwdriver. Not sure about the triggerguard, but I bet it can be done as well without too much trouble.

As for the barrel, IMO it's not so much that the 590A1 has a "heavy" barrel that it has a "heavier" barrel. There's nothing flimsy about the "old" 590s.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That being said, you can replace the plastic safety switch on the 590 with a part from Mossberg and a screwdriver. Not sure about the triggerguard, but I bet it can be done as well without too much trouble.

As for the barrel, IMO it's not so much that the 590A1 has a "heavy" barrel that it has a "heavier" barrel. There's nothing flimsy about the "old" 590s.

Nope. They're all very stout. I know the A1's barrel is backbored for lower recoil. Don't know about the regular 590 though.

Causality

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What kind of ammo is the Saiga "ammo sensitive" to? I also wonder what the current market is bringing for the mags on the Saiga? I do have a 590A1 that sleeps with me loaded with felon repellant...and with it being a pump, it will eat anything you feed it from factory to reloads. I can see the Saiga having function problems with some reloads.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Saigas have a 2 position gas regulator, one for heavy and one for light loads. If you try to run light loads on the heavy setting it can malf. If you do vice versa, it beats the crap out of the gun.

It's not so much the gun that's ammo sensitive as it is the mags. Mine runs great with Reminton slugs & buck and Winchester birdshot. It doesn't run as well with Federal slugs & buck or Remington birdshot. One magazine I have won't feed Federal birdshot reliably, but the others will.

Saiga hi-caps generally run about $50 each.

You just have to spend some time and ammo figuring out what they like. Once you do that, they're da bomb! :)

Latest posts

Top Bottom