Saiga 12 or Mossberg 590?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonathanT

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
First off: Mossberg 590A1 heat shields have always existed (it was a military requirement, along with the bayonet lug), and recently they finally appeared on the civilian market. They were around a hundred bucks last I heard, but it's been a few months since I checked.

I own a Mossberg 590 (not A1) and a Saiga-12. I love both, but there are some major differences to take into account. It's pretty much comparing apples and oranges from here on in.

The Mossberg is a pump action gun, so you can shoot pretty much any loads you want without worrying about feed issues. Also, tube magazines can be reloaded very quickly (albeit one round at a time). Keep in mind that maximum capacity depends on the total length of the shells you are using. Some people are dead-set against Mossbergs, and many say they can be quite fragile. I personally haven't had any issues with mine, so I'm not willing to comment on that aspect.

The Saiga is a gas operated semi-auto, so you will run into problems with certain loads. I've also heard of "Vodka Specials," Saiga-12's that just don't seem to function properly at all, right out of the box. Mine isn't one, but that could be something to watch out for. The magazines may seem to be a quicker reload, but some of them can be quite difficult to insert (especially if you don't have the bolt locked open). Still, after I do the pistol grip conversion and get a couple 20 round drums, this is going to be one wicked uber-boomstick.

-Jonathan

bink98xcab

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a mav 88 20"8+1 and love it!! Got alot less than ur budget in it and couldn't be happier for an hd gun. I know its n ot one of your choices but its worth a thought

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Freedom Pawn is at:

Freedom Pawn
7936 North MacArthur Boulevard
Oklahoma City, OK 73132
(405) 470-1000

Dan the owner is good to go.

Latest posts