Savage 10FP .308

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sharkbait

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So my order came in yesterday (I placed the order with Eric friday afternoon and it arrived the next wednesday morning), I got a Savage 10FP in .308 with the Accustock stock. I will try to bore you with my amateur observations.
I am not a photographer (as if you could not tell).

[Broken External Image]

I ordered the 24" LE .308, I wasn't expecting the fluted barrel or the muzzle brake. I have mixed emotions about the muzzle brake, they add tremendously to the noise behind the gun and the .308 does not kick that hard anyways. The barrel is fluted but the flutes are pretty shallow, they really don't reduce much weight or add much surface area for heat dissipation.

[Broken External Image]

The bolt knob is a full 1" thick and comfortably tapered, pretty easy to grab and work while staying behind the scope.

[Broken External Image]

I was pleasantly surprised to see two sling swivels.

[Broken External Image]

One of the reasons I went with the Savage besides the consistently good reviews was the barrel nut. With the correct wrench and headspace gauges I can change my own barrels or so I thought...
[Broken External Image]
Because too many morons that could not headspace their barrles and tried to sue Savage after they hurt themselves Savage went with a very user unfriendly barrel nut.

sharkbait

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Continued...

The DBM was a pleasant surprise.

[Broken External Image]

With the exception of having to file down the front screw and clean up the threads (the mount manufacturers fault not Savages) mounting the base was uneventful.

[Broken External Image]

The Burris XTR rings look pretty good but the proof will be in the pudding at the range.

[Broken External Image]

And the finished product.

[Broken External Image]

My initial (amateur) observations:
Likes-
*Fluted barrel even though the flutes could have been deeper not so much for weight savings but for heat dissipation.

*Two sling swivels, one for the bipod and one for the sling for those who were wondering.

*Detachable box magazine, not AI or Badger compatible but it is a start (if they made this rifle with Accuracy International compatble bottom metal they could not make them fast enough.

*Trigger- I have spent some quality time with my brothers dept Remmy PSS and I like the Accutrigger much more.

Dislikes-
*The Accustock has moulding marks around the bottom (a cosmetic issue and a minor one), they could have taken a minute to clean up the stock.

*User unfriendly barrel nut, I HATE it when companies cave in to the legal dept at the expense of the customer. Nothing a replacement barrel nut and a (very carefully placed) pipe wrench cannot fix.

*Savage charged $50 to ship it from Kansas!?!

All in all I like it, the science is sound behind the Accustock but until I see how it groups it will not go in either the like or dislike category. The barrel is a 1/10 twist which will spin the lighter rounds faster than I really want to but will handle the heavy SMK's and V-Maxs so the jury is still out on the barrel.

I hope to spend some quality time this weekend on the range with the newest member of my family and of course I will post (probably crappy) pics.

Serenity Bushcraft

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dude you are going to love that rifle..........I have an older Savage 10FCP in a McMillan stock. With Hornady 168gr BTHP Match it will shoot 100 yard groups that are in the 1/2" range. Great Choice and Good Luck. That rifle is going to shoot alongside rifles costing three times as much..........

sharkbait

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
First range report:
The .308 is not a hard kicking round anyways and with the muzzle brake and thick pad shooting 30 rounds today was not the least bit uncomfortable. My 30-06 and a stiff recoil pad gave me an irritating flinch reflex but at the end of 30 rounds today I wasn't even blinking when the round went off.

I really like the Accutrigger- alot.

With the cheap 150gr Remmy UMC it was grouping 3/4 to 1" at 100 yards at Happy Hollow today (that geezer on the PA is really funny). I need to get my hands on some quality ammo and see what this thing will do.

The DBM fed smoothly every time and I discovered that these nice people http://www.sharpshootersupply.com/ make aftermarket extensions for my magazine to increase the capacity to 9 rounds so if I want higher capacity I don't have to spend a small fortune on bottom metal and AI mags.

eta: I really thinked the factory goofed, I ordered the plain jane 10FP and I think they sent me a 10 BAS-K action http://www.savagearms.com/10bask.htm in the Accustock because the barrels on my rifle and the 10 BAS-K are identical from the fluting to the muzzle brake.

The stock/barrel passed the dollar bill test with plenty of clearance all the way around.

I am really liking this rifle so far.

infotechsailor

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
LOL the old man at happy hollow... "I said put the top of the target in first, BONEHEAD!!!"

Thanks for this review I been shoppin for a 308. You gonna start handloading 308?

sharkbait

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
LOL the old man at happy hollow... "I said put the top of the target in first, BONEHEAD!!!"

Thanks for this review I been shoppin for a 308. You gonna start handloading 308?

That old guy is pretty entertaining. I'll let you test drive mine to help you decide if you want one or not and I definitely plan on working up some loads for it.

eta: brokeasswhiteboy has the same action/barrel and I hit him up for what ammo has given him the best groups, he recommended 168gr Fed Gold Match. Going to have to try out the FGMM.

Latest posts

Top Bottom