Savage Axis .223 trigger mod

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well I purchased the Axis .223 Bolt gun and pulled the trigger for the first time today.

WOW Terrible trigger.
So I took it apart.

Seems the channel the sear sits in is quite deep..this makes for more trigger travel than I like.

I put a slight taper on the outside corners, then put a taper across the top of the ridge on the trigger itself with a file.

This reduced some travel but not enough for my taste so took it apart again. I tapered that edge a bit more.. And stuck it back together to try again.
Much better.
After the file work I used 500 grit sandpaper to slick it down.

I also Noticed the Tension spring was quite long and was almost compressed..I do not condone cutting coils.. But the length of this spring looks way long. I took 1.5 coils off and tested.. then another 1/2 coil and then another 1/4 coil.

I also filed the spring on the outside to reduce coil diameter...This will reduce spring rate and not change free length.

You need enough length to keep it working properly.
My 10FP .308 Savage got a trigger mod by me and it was an accutrigger..But that spring was short so it got only a file treatment to reduce coil diameter. And then i screwed it out to make it longer.
The accutrigger weight is adjusted by twisting the spring in(shortening it) to make less weight..But when you get too far in the sear does not hold. And you are left with a trigger that is still not really light and it is dangerous.
When I say file the spring, I mean Sharpening stone or cratex.

I have not tested with scale ,, I did test with bag of bullets and the Axis .223 breaks at about 5 lbs.
But it is a clean break.

I heard these triggers were awful..pretty much right on that, for the one I got.
Much better now.

So the Axis trigger is not a lost cause.. it can be made better.
It took me about 10-15 minutes to do this.

Toney

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got rid of the stock trigger spring and used a screw long enough to to use as a over. Pull stop with a lighter spring over it. I did turn most of the threads off where the spring rides.

The savage forum has the info. On installing a accutrigger, but you have to pay for a upgraded membership..

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That sounds like it will work well Toney.

I have an accutrigger on my .308..I will not spend money ever on a trigger..Until I have exhausted all efforts at trying to make the current trigger perfect.

Every trigger I have tweaked on my guns is really nice when I am finished with it.
My Mossberg's ATR's were horrendous.. a bit worse than this Axis..But are really nice now.
Some friends used to shooting factory stiff triggers usually set my triggers off before they were ready..They comment later that they like the triggers.

Most of mine are above 2 lbs...My CVA bobcat a $58 .50 cal muzzleloader trigger is the lightest..under 1lb. Zero creep.
I do not let any person use that gun except me.
It is a sidelock..

I like tweaking things. :)

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I modded my trigger a bit more before i went and shot at 200 yards. All creep is gone and I reduced the spring diameter a bit more.
The trigger will now break at 3.5lbs. Not super light but works very well.

Pictures for ya. Assembled trigger and etc etc.. the arrow points at the tapered edges I created that reduce the creep
The spring is the one I lightened
trigger mod Xxis 223 001.jpg
trigger mod Xxis 223 002.JPG

trigger mod Xxis 223 003.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom