SB1733 passed the Senate

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Could you illustrate the differences? I realize they're going to have to reconcile them somehow before voting again and sending them to our resident RINO.... er... governor to sign.

Caseman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here is what I think the House version does that the Senate bill doesn't. The house version allows for open carry on your property without a permit,reduces the penalties for not notifying a LEO, allows for notification at the earliest opportunity and allows the permit to be makes to the applicant instead of picking up at the SO.

hrdware

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Could you illustrate the differences? I realize they're going to have to reconcile them somehow before voting again and sending them to our resident RINO.... er... governor to sign.

As Caseman said, the house bill does the following:

- Allows permitless open carry on your own private property
- Reduces failure to notify fine
- Allows notification at "first opportunity" instead of "first contact"
- The initial permit can be mailed to the applicant instead of county sheriff

It also does the following:
- Preempts any municipality from issuing any disturbing the peace citation to someone for only open carrying
- Allows a law enforcement officer to ask to see your permit just because you are openly carrying a firearm
- permits you to open carry in either a belt or shoulder holster. The senate bill just provides for a belt holster.

The senate bill would also allow any judge in the state with a CC permit to carry into any courthouse in the state (federal courthouse excluded). Currently I believe only district judges are allowed to carry into courthouses.

Not to just plug and run so to speak, but if you want to follow a discussion about this with others, come "Like" the I Support Open Carry in Oklahoma Facebook page.

I do plan on sticking around and posting more....not just draw folks to FB.

David2012

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thursday, March 15, 2012 2:30 PM OKLAHOMA LEGISLATIVE ELECTRONIC NOTIFICATION SYSTEM (LENS)

Current status of measure(s) you are tracking:

HB2522 Firearms; clarifying manner in which firearms may be carried by handgun licensees; effective date.
3/15/2012 S Second Reading referred to Public Safety

Just waiting for House & Senate bills to be merged into something both houses can live with.

cowmugger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As Caseman said, the house bill does the following:

- permits you to open carry in either a belt or shoulder holster. The senate bill just provides for a belt holster.
From HB 2522
2. “Unconcealed handgun” means a loaded or unloaded pistol carried upon the person in a belt or shoulder holster that is wholly or partially visible, or carried upon the person in a scabbard or case designed for carrying firearms that is wholly or partially visible; and

I think this would also allow you to carry in the chest holster on your tactical vest.

I prefer HB 2522 also.

Negative Nellie predicts each bill dying the opposite chambers "criminal safety" committees, while all members can say they voted for open carry.

Hopefully the house will amend SB 1733 to mirror HB 2522.

cowmugger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just re-read SB 1733...
2. “Unconcealed handgun” means a loaded or unloaded pistol carried upon the person in a belt holster that is wholly or partially visible, or carried upon the person in a scabbard or case designed for carrying firearms that is wholly or partially visible; and

The addition of shoulder may not be necessary, but when it is there, it is absolute. I think you could make the case that about anything "designed for carrying firearms" is legal, but the one of my main goals is NO cases. Clear laws.

Latest posts

Top Bottom