Scattergun Tech TR870 ... round in chamber or not?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you carry an Remington 870 with round in chamber or not?

• trust my safety and always carry 870 with round in chamber

Votes: 43 55.8%
  • don't trust safeties and never carry 870 with round in chamber

Votes: 34 44.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So for all of you that believe the sound of racking the shotgun would scare a tweaked out meth head cracker away, I assume you would also say the same for racking the slide on a pistol too?

I think you have been watching way too many movies....

I can understand the safety aspect of trying to protect children, etc, but the whole idea that pumping a shotgun scares someone away is an over rated myth, if they are stupid enough to kick your door in, in the middle of the night, they are stupid enough to ignore any sound they hear on the way to inflict harm on you. Plus in my house they couldn't hear anything as the alarm would be going off from the door being kicked in....

Something to think about, in my house it is about 50 feet from the front door to my bedroom, from the time someone kicked in the front door, raising me out of a sound sleep, getting to my bedroom is a very short amount of time, I have no desire to screw around with loading a round into anything in the very short time I would be reacting to this situation.

redneck1861

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It is really just personal preference, I keep a round chambered in my HD shotgun, but I do see why some don't. And yes the sound of the slide is a little over rated due to movies, but I would like to see someone who doesn't turn and run if they hear that unmistakable sound.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So for all of you that believe the sound of racking the shotgun would scare a tweaked out meth head cracker away, I assume you would also say the same for racking the slide on a pistol too?

I think you have been watching way too many movies....

I can understand the safety aspect of trying to protect children, etc, but the whole idea that pumping a shotgun scares someone away is an over rated myth, if they are stupid enough to kick your door in, in the middle of the night, they are stupid enough to ignore any sound they hear on the way to inflict harm on you. Plus in my house they couldn't hear anything as the alarm would be going off from the door being kicked in....

Something to think about, in my house it is about 50 feet from the front door to my bedroom, from the time someone kicked in the front door, raising me out of a sound sleep, getting to my bedroom is a very short amount of time, I have no desire to screw around with loading a round into anything in the very short time I would be reacting to this situation.

This. I think it's hilarious and unfortunate that people count on someone going running for the hills when they hear a racking shotgun. Especially in today's meth head world. Would a logical person run? Sure.... but that's not what we are dealing with.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
thanks again for this beautiful shotty!!

what's your definition of "cruiser safe"?

before this thread ... have always kept my 870 with shells fully loaded, then carefully inspecting chamber making sure there is no shell .... then drop hammer to allow instant racking of shell without fumbling with rack release.

Handgun ready to go, Rifle and Scattergun cruisier safe.

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In the house rifle and shotgun are both condition one, loaded chambers safety on. I go cruiser ready for safety reasons and legal compliance when they are in the truck.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Some of you guys are assuming everyone breaking into your home is on meth. Most will not be, and yes I know the sound of a racking slide has been over done by the movies, but it has worked for me the one time I needed it in real life. Shotgun is also not my first round of defense. Fully loaded 357 is. No kids to worry about now.

Latest posts

Top Bottom