Scattergun Tech TR870 ... round in chamber or not?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you carry an Remington 870 with round in chamber or not?

• trust my safety and always carry 870 with round in chamber

Votes: 43 55.8%
  • don't trust safeties and never carry 870 with round in chamber

Votes: 34 44.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

HMCS(FMF)Ret.

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Handgun, round chambered. Shotgun, no round chambered, five in reserve, five more on my stock. I like hearing the racking of a shotgun (just personal preference though....not a huge deal to me either way).

dutchwrangler

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
My Mossberg 500 is unchambered. My Ruger SP101 and Detonics .45ACP are locked and loaded. I really pity the fool who breaks into my apartment while I'm home since I'm a heartless ex-military cop who thinks a dead criminal is a good criminal.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Empty chamber, safety off, and, very important, hammer down. All you have to do is rack the slide in this condition, and that's pretty fast.

However, and this is just as important, better practice using the gun this way.

The sound of a model 12 Winchester is unmistakable. I walked by a parked Airstream once and heard it. Heart nearly stopped. I said "just passing by, not going to bother you," and kept moving, but it was tense.

I agree there is no magic in the sound of a slide. For safety and for consistency, if I have a shotty set up for home defense, this is how I always do it.

Currently have other home defense devices in place, but a shotty is a good choice. I guess everyone knows that "scatterguns" don't do a lot of scattering at social distances . . .

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Some of you guys are assuming everyone breaking into your home is on meth. Most will not be, and yes I know the sound of a racking slide has been over done by the movies, but it has worked for me the one time I needed it in real life. Shotgun is also not my first round of defense. Fully loaded 357 is. No kids to worry about now.

Actually we just assume everyone breaking into our home intends to do us harm, most don't, they just want to steal from us.

shootingbuff

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Post 15 +1 and 2 thumbs up
Especially with home invasions.
Grab, turn, rack.
My question is how fast can you get to any point in the house from any of your entrances. Now being startled how fast can you employ your HD SG?
Think handgun as a means to get to your longarm.

Nice SG. In ref to the question - depends. If it is pri go to and no one will be touching it, then loaded chamber safety on.

shootingbuff

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wont be throwing out a hail of lead, but I will not bet my, or my families lives on someone only wanting to steal while we are home. Shoo go away steal everything we wont look at your faces or tell anyone, a reasonable person would not be robbing me especially with people home. Prep for the worst, hope for the best, and pray it doesn't happen to you.

Back on topic though what is the distance you will be engaging with the SG and what type of pattern are you looking for. Now pattern your SG until you find the load that does what you want.

TroyF

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Chamber empty, hammer down, magazine tube stuffed full.

Once served a round of arrest warrants with the Metro Fugitive Squad. I was riding in the passenger seat with a member of the USMS driving. Our approach was blown, so he drives us over the curb into the front yard of the sus[ect(s)'s house. His 870 (chambered) was secured between the front seats, in a mount, muzzle up. When he bounced us over the curb, the shotty went off. Scared the peegeezus outta us. After all was said and done, we took the shotty out, and the safety was in fact engaged. Crossbar safety.............

Latest posts

Top Bottom