Scattergun Tech TR870 ... round in chamber or not?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you carry an Remington 870 with round in chamber or not?

• trust my safety and always carry 870 with round in chamber

Votes: 43 55.8%
  • don't trust safeties and never carry 870 with round in chamber

Votes: 34 44.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

shootingbuff

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't think a HD SG will be bounced over the curve and if one thinks they will have an AD because the firearm is loaded then maybe they shouldn't load it - ever.

just my .02 after wasting my time reading the vette thread.

TroyF

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
My point was, I wouldnt trust one that is chamber loaded. They do get bumped around (in the home, in the trunk, and obviously in the front seat of a Marshal's Service Crown Vic).

jdubya

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can say with certainty that the sound of a shotgun slide being racked is scary. Scared the crap out of several veteran officers one night going in dark to a man with a gun call. Years of bird hunting work wonders for the shotgun skills. Not saying Im the best in the world but I can hold my own.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This. I think it's hilarious and unfortunate that people count on someone going running for the hills when they hear a racking shotgun. Especially in today's meth head world. Would a logical person run? Sure.... but that's not what we are dealing with.

I'm 100% on top of this statment. :yelclap:
Total waste of tactical suprise to announce your position in advance of engaging an invader to your home.
You've just announced your position, and can expect a hail of bullets that will completely penetrate the drywall and door jamb you think is giving you security, and cover.
I can just imagine what would be going on in a persons mind when confronted by a bad guy pointing a gun at him at the time he picked up his unloaded shotgun to "rack the slide" to scare him. You would immediatly shat your shorts, knowing what a bad decision had been made to keep an open chamber, and "rack the slide".

I've said this before, and I'll keep repeating it.
The best shotgun for self defense is a semi-auto. If your shooting arm, or the "racking" arm is disabled by a shot your screwed after the first shot unless you know how to rack one with a single arm. Not that hard, but takes a lot of time.
Semi-auto takes one hand to shoot and can be shot as long as there is ammo in the mag.

Second opinion:
The op never said where he was talking about having a chamber loaded.
If one were in the upland field with me, and you didn't have your chamber loaded, it would be unfortunate that I would have game on the ground, and you would be standing there looking foolish.

Proper gun positioning in the field for safety is just one of those things that you will learn. Sometimes by a slap in the back of the head by a guy walking nearby.:buttkick:

UnSafe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nice gun! How much did it set you back?

For HD ammo, you don't have to start out expensive. The import or "regular" Rem or Win 0 and 00 2-3/4" buck loads are worth trying before you start blowing cash on flight control/ Duplex/ whatever rounds to correct patterning problems. Nine 00 pellets at 1200FPS in a 3"-6" pattern at whatever distance your house offers is a devistating wound producer.

Suggest removing and storing the sling, just more stuff to get in the way.

shootingbuff

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Troy F the curve comment was in ref to the story you related here on this thread. The comment about an AD was not.

If mem serves and it sucks these days, most SGs do not have a drop safety (inertia safety).

So I agree if you are going to have the SG bounced around to go chamber empty. If expecting immediately to use it for defense or hunting then no. Hope that clears my comment/view up.

Again one needs to "know" if they are going to be able to get to any weapon they may have for defense.

Some SG (semi-auto) can be limped wristed just like a pistol. One handed can cause jams depending on person, ammo, and position fired from.

Amazing how many SGs can blow a pattern at 10 yds - pattern that thing.

If you can not get to it before someone gets to you it is no good.

BluRaySS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For home defense, I would not chamber a round for two reasons.

1) If there are kids around it is safer without one in the chamber.
2) Nothing scares the crap out of somebody like the sound of a pump action being worked in the dead of night.

An example, years ago I lived out in the country in a house with hardwood floors. One night I woke up to the sound of my front door being jimmied and opened, and the sound of someone walking on the hardwood. Grabbing the 12ga I kept by the bed I jacked one in and immediately heard someone running like mad to get out of the house.

Round in the chamber. An unloaded gun is a stick. I know everyone sees it differently, but I would never rack a slide/pump for the impression. If I draw a weapon for the purpose of defense, the last thing I want to do is give away my position, or improve the intruders situational awareness.

Given I don't have children or allow them in my house.

Latest posts

Top Bottom