Scattergun Tech TR870 ... round in chamber or not?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you carry an Remington 870 with round in chamber or not?

• trust my safety and always carry 870 with round in chamber

Votes: 43 55.8%
  • don't trust safeties and never carry 870 with round in chamber

Votes: 34 44.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Some SG (semi-auto) can be limped wristed just like a pistol. One handed can cause jams depending on person, ammo, and position fired from. I've tested this theory with a Rem 1100 several times with different loads, and have not had a malfunction yet.

Amazing how many SGs can blow a pattern at 10 yds - pattern that thing. +1000

If you can not get to it before someone gets to you it is no good. Or if you have an open chamber when suprised in the middle of the night, and the intruder is locked and loaded. Wait a minute!! I have to rack my slide!!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Personally,I'd just as soon not shoot the dumb azz,paper work/legal problems etc.Takes longer to get into action?? What maybe 1-2 seconds??
that 1-2 seconds will get one killed. Last steel challenge I attended, 5 targets were taken down in 2.11 seconds.

Personally I don't ever want to kill another human being. Your life is forever changed.
The reasons above are secondary.
I live in the country, so calling the LEO is the first thing, but while waiting for them to arrive, its all on me. My wife will not arm herself.
I won't rack a slide, but with our outside lighting that is on at night along with the motion detectors that turn on additional lights, I've made sure all inside lights are not automatically turned on, so anybody lurking outside is in the light and cannot see inside.
When we lived in town 20 years ago we had motion detector lights on the house. I can't believe this has not been discussed as a deterrent to some prowler.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
that 1-2 seconds will get one killed. Last steel challenge I attended, 5 targets were taken down in 2.11 seconds.

Personally I don't ever want to kill another human being. Your life is forever changed.
The reasons above are secondary.
I live in the country, so calling the LEO is the first thing, but while waiting for them to arrive, its all on me. My wife will not arm herself.
I won't rack a slide, but with our outside lighting that is on at night along with the motion detectors that turn on additional lights, I've made sure all inside lights are not automatically turned on, so anybody lurking outside is in the light and cannot see inside.
When we lived in town 20 years ago we had motion detector lights on the house. I can't believe this has not been discussed as a deterrent to some prowler.

Why are you still arguing?! Loaded or unloaded it's all moot..... as all you have to do is rack the slide and the BGs will do a road runner impression out of your home. It's like a magic talisman to ward off evil. :D :D

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Why are you still arguing?! Loaded or unloaded it's all moot..... as all you have to do is rack the slide and the BGs will do a road runner impression out of your home. It's like a magic talisman to ward off evil. :D :D

I'm not arguing. Just trying to debunk some of the good guy/bad guy crap that goes on in the self defense way of thinking.
Its amazing that some places that pay to play still spout the "Rack the slide"
theory.
Yeah, it might work in one out of 100 situations, but, is bad advice in the rest.
IMHO. I'm willing to be beat up if anybody can prove it the other way.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My HD 870 is hammer down on an empty chamber, safety off, magazine full.

Simply because the combination of me shooting lefty and the configuration of the safety/Knoxx stock is not intuitive to me. And I just hate safeties that are not intuitive. I have hunting guns I don't hunt with because the safety is awkward to me. The safety is NEVER on, on that gun. It's they way I'm used to it being, and if I grab it there is a shell in the chamber without me thinking about it. Quicker than I could get to that safety. I've though about going back to a Mossberg for the safety position. Did I mention I hate cross bolt safeties? I like a safety on a long gun to be naturally under my thumb.

I don't do it for the "noise scare", I do it because I'm quicker and more certain of my 870's readiness with it safety off, hammer down.

Also, with my house/land layout and other factors, if someone gets that far in my house without me being aware of it, I'm in trouble. That slide will probably be racked before they are on the same level of the house as I am, and before they can hear it anyways. If they make it into my locked bedroom with a loaded gun pointed at me and I'm still sleeping, it's not going to matter much.

Defense handguns are always chamber loaded.

Flame suit on.

Latest posts

Top Bottom