Scattergun Tech TR870 ... round in chamber or not?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you carry an Remington 870 with round in chamber or not?

• trust my safety and always carry 870 with round in chamber

Votes: 43 55.8%
  • don't trust safeties and never carry 870 with round in chamber

Votes: 34 44.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

shootingbuff

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

1100s are gas operated and "less" suspectable to be limp wristed with light loads than inerta /recoil operated SGs. Even then I have seen gas operated SGs malfunction with light loads or not enough wt behind it (and other reasons). Just like patterning shoot enough of the ammo one intends to for social purposes from differnet postions and firing left/right handed holding a light etc. Imagination is ones only limitations.

What this boils down to is different peoples expeinces. Hell that is what this whole thread is.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
many thanks for the clarification of carrying a long gun in your car for CCW holders.

cruiser ready makes the most sense. no use in creating complexity...
"one system always the same" ... sounds good !!!

Cruiser ready is the way I carry a shotgun in the patrol car. Since it is always that way, all other shotguns are kept that way too. One system, always the same. Racking the action of an 870 while shouldering makes the first round hit time almost exactly the same whether chambered with safety on or crusier ready. Therefore, be consistent and use the safest option. For those with an Oklahoma SDA license, a long-gun may be carried in your vehicle magazine loaded but chamber empty! Practice cruiser ready and be consistent.

ef9turbo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hmm, interesting.....

ef... thanks for the suggestion... have taken off both front and rear sling mounts for now. since HD is main mission for this 870, finding out a single point sling really gets in the way.

had to do more gunsmithing right off the bat than I thought.
shell holder was presenting shell at wrong angles, causing failure to feed. so I swapped out parts from my other 870. sear return spring went sprong.... to parts unknown... after digging for 20 minutes, gave up....

looks like I'll be ordering a sear return spring and new style shell holder.

was thinking since this 870 was prepped by Scattergun Tech. only a few rounds fires since then and I would not have a lift a finger. really surprised I had to break down 870 to figure out failure to feed issues right off the bat.

anyways... TR870 is all back together working great!!!

ordered a 225 lumen LED replacement module from Deal Extreme for $11 shipped. module had a fairly recent Cree LED XPG ... there was two versions available. with or without all sorts of modes. I got the single mode version. looks like I'll have to lathe out insides of Surefire flashlight end to accept this conversion.

here's a pic of trigger assembly from my other 870 and offending shell holder from TR870

ahome.tulsaconnect.com_toug_cpf_scattergun14.JPG

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
1100s are gas operated and "less" suspectable to be limp wristed with light loads than inerta /recoil operated SGs. Even then I have seen gas operated SGs malfunction with light loads or not enough wt behind it (and other reasons). Just like patterning shoot enough of the ammo one intends to for social purposes from differnet postions and firing left/right handed holding a light etc. Imagination is ones only limitations.

What this boils down to is different peoples expeinces. Hell that is what this whole thread is.

I don't think I would use my A5 recoil operated as a SD for the reason you stated.
Also I wouldn't be using light loads in my gas operated SD shotty.
As you said, one also needs to practice with strong hand, weak hand, etc.
Trust me, shooting a heavy load with one hand can be brutal.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
thanks... after a bit of minor gunsmithing, extension alignment fixed... machined extension feels very_solid. doesn't feel like extension support needed.

shell holder replaced to fix incorrect shell presentation angles causing failure to feed.
front and rear sling mounts removed shortening stock by 1/4in. sling gets in the way for home defense.

TR870 feels great and fits me much better!!!

here's updated pic's showing front and rear sling mounts removed.

ahome.tulsaconnect.com_toug_cpf_scattergun30.JPG

ahome.tulsaconnect.com_toug_cpf_scattergun32.JPG

ahome.tulsaconnect.com_toug_cpf_scattergun33.JPG

ahome.tulsaconnect.com_toug_cpf_scattergun34.JPG

Also, you should throw a clamp on that mag extension. It's hanging down, misaligned from the barrel.

Latest posts

Top Bottom