School me on Health Insurance

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

owu1bag5

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Since I got laid off from my job I have been paying for COBRA at almost $1500 bucks a month. I am able to pay it now, but I would like to find a cheaper option. I have no idea where to start looking for health insurance. The Google search I did really didn't help me much. Several of the companies showed that they didn't offer coverage in Oklahoma. So those of you who have insurance and it is NOT through your employer, who do you use?

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For individuals in Oklahoma your choices are limited. Blue Cross Blue Shield being the best option for coverage in your area or any area in Oklahoma. Global and Assurant MIGHT be competitive and Community Care weighs heavily towards the eastern part of the state but you can check. You can go directly to the companies and inquire about an individual plan.

You can go to the healthcare.gov site and it will list all of the plan in your area. In which they will probably try to steer you towards a subsidy (obamacare) but you don't have to take one, and you can enroll in any private plan you wish.

71buickfreak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
www.insureok.com

It is the state-run health insurance program for self-employed people. There is an income limit, but if you qualify, it is really good insurance. It works for me. It used to be a separate entity, but the powers that be combined it with Medicaid, so it can be a pain sometimes, but it is cheap and it works.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I keep hearing some commercials on the radio about Medi-Share.
Its billed as a Christian commune type of insurance where you pay into the plan, and share from the money that is put into the plan.
That's is all I know about it, other than a blurb that I didn't hear all of on a news program, that I thought said it didn't relieve the members from the Obama plan fine for not having insurance as it wasn't an approved plan. I'm cloudy on that part, not hearing the entire story.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I wouldn't head down the insureok route..... it relies on funding that the feds will likely cut. Barely got extended through 2015. Not that we are talking about a business here anyways.

Latest posts

Top Bottom