School me on plate carriers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eagle Eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I dont wanna hijack the thread.
I have 0 experience with tactical gear, and not a lot of time to research.

Im in for a chest rig and discovered these guys.

http://www.originalsoegear.com

What do you guys think about them?
They use Genuine 1000 Denier Cordura nylon for some of their products. Is that decent stuff?

Thanks

Hump66

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What would yiu recommend for a tall dude

From my sniper hide

I'm a short dude (5'7") and I've played the "how much cool crap can I put on my kit" game. It ended poorly. I prefer to spread out my kit as follows:

Padded war belt with 2 pistol mags, 2 AR mags, medkit, drop holster, dump pouch.
[Broken External Image]

Recently sold my PC, it was a Mayflower LPAC with kevlar soft armor panels, and their Gen 4 harness. It held 4 AR mags, 2 pistol mags, flashlight, multi tool, notepad/pen, radio, med kit. It was still heavier/bulkier than I wanted it to be.
Plan is to replace it with a Crye JPC, and hope to not have to add much as far as pouches, maybe just a radio and med pouch.
gearscout.militarytimes.com_wp_content_uploads_sites_16_2010_08_Crye_Precision_JPC_1A1.jpg

I want light weight, low risk of snagging stuff hanging off of it, and easy to move or go prone (harder to do with a lot of stuff on the front, hence the single row of mags preference).

I don't know what class you're taking, but I doubt there would be any real need for 7 AR mags and 6 pistol mags on you at any time.

I dont wanna hijack the thread.
I have 0 experience with tactical gear, and not a lot of time to research.

Im in for a chest rig and discovered these guys.

http://www.originalsoegear.com

What do you guys think about them?
They use Genuine 1000 Denier Cordura nylon for some of their products. Is that decent stuff?

Thanks

I've got a belt and a couple pouches from them. I like their stuff. It's very well made kit.

Wolf44

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OSOE gear is top tier stuff. you'll find plenty of persons who depend upon gear use or trust his work./designs.

LBT, mayflower, spear, old Eagle Ind. , TYR?,

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Gabe and Jedabug, you guys are about the same height but Gabe is a little bigger in the chest. You guys both know me, and I wear Medium ESAPIS. They cover the vitals and still give me the mobility.

BobBarker- Trust me, the pig is not small. It is also well padded and will fit every SAPI/ESAPI plate from XL to small. The XL is a tight fit but it works. Plus it has a separate plate backer pocket. I have had one and I believe Gabe has one as well. It was probably the most comfortable plate carrier I have worn, but it is a little bulky for my tastes.

Hump- the first plate carrier I used was a Crye JPC. Well made minimalist carrier. I liked it except it wanted to wander around on my torso depending on the undergarment.

Jedabug- Im about certain a Lrge SAPI/ESAPI cut plate would fit you correctly.

Here is everything you need to know about sizing your plates.
http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?85112-Proper-Wear-of-Armor-(with-anatomical-diagrams)

PDF version is here.
http://sixty-six.org/x_drive/proper_wear_of_armor.pdf

How you decide to set up your carrier and sub load is a personal issue. It will depend on what you need to carry to satisfy an anticipated scenario. Run n guns are good places to sort this out. You will go through a bunch of different set ups until you find one that works for you, and even then you will be making mods as the situation changes. At a minimum you are going to want ammo, med and hydration. Personally I would leave the secondary weapon on a belt along with its ammo. Remember you need to be able to reach your personal IfAK with both hands. This includes a TQ or two.
Whatever you decide, work that **** out. Run in it, shoot in it, roll around in it. Do it in the light and the dark. Deficiencies will show themselves pretty quick. If you are serious, dont be that guy with the squeaky clean kit that looks like it just had the tags ripped off and think you are set.

Shoot me a pm or ask away in this thread if you have any questions. There is plenty of experience here.

Jedabug92

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Gabe and Jedabug, you guys are about the same height but Gabe is a little bigger in the chest. You guys both know me, and I wear Medium ESAPIS. They cover the vitals and still give me the mobility.

BobBarker- Trust me, the pig is not small. It is also well padded and will fit every SAPI/ESAPI plate from XL to small. The XL is a tight fit but it works. Plus it has a separate plate backer pocket. I have had one and I believe Gabe has one as well. It was probably the most comfortable plate carrier I have worn, but it is a little bulky for my tastes.

Hump- the first plate carrier I used was a Crye JPC. Well made minimalist carrier. I liked it except it wanted to wander around on my torso depending on the undergarment.

Jedabug- Im about certain a Lrge SAPI/ESAPI cut plate would fit you correctly.

Here is everything you need to know about sizing your plates.
http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?85112-Proper-Wear-of-Armor-(with-anatomical-diagrams)

PDF version is here.
http://sixty-six.org/x_drive/proper_wear_of_armor.pdf

How you decide to set up your carrier and sub load is a personal issue. It will depend on what you need to carry to satisfy an anticipated scenario. Run n guns are good places to sort this out. You will go through a bunch of different set ups until you find one that works for you, and even then you will be making mods as the situation changes. At a minimum you are going to want ammo, med and hydration. Personally I would leave the secondary weapon on a belt along with its ammo. Remember you need to be able to reach your personal IfAK with both hands. This includes a TQ or two.
Whatever you decide, work that **** out. Run in it, shoot in it, roll around in it. Do it in the light and the dark. Deficiencies will show themselves pretty quick. If you are serious, dont be that guy with the squeaky clean kit that looks like it just had the tags ripped off and think you are set.

Shoot me a pm or ask away in this thread if you have any questions. There is plenty of experience here.
Ifak????
Tq is tourniquet

From my sniper hide

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
IFAK- individual first aid kit. I have a couple of them, but the one on my harness is just a dual m4 mag pouch by Eagle that has a quik clot gauze bandage and compression dressing in it. It is low profile enough that it doesnt get in the way. My harness mounted TQ is sandwiched between two more m4 mag pouches along my centerline.

J.T.- ETADIK
Just in case you dont understand my reply, here you go. Just remember i love you little brother.

Last edited by a moderator:

J.T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
uncle money bAgs said:
J.T.- ETADIK
Just in case you dont understand my reply, here you go. Just remember i love you little brother.

Still gay as ****. Maybe try taking the wang out of your mouth next time.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Top Bottom