School me on plate carriers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

english kanigit

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If I'm reading this correctly you don't yet have plates? Do you at least know specifically what plates you're going to get?

Some things fit certain types of plates better than others, some plates have proprietary carriers and some plates don't really fit anything well. Figure out what plates you want/need, what you need to accomplish with this system (and make no mistake, it should be thought of as a system as everything interacts with everything else) and what you're willing to spend.

Wearing a plate carrier without plates is a non-starter.
Ek

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Mission drives equipment.

Like EK said. Figure our what kind if protection you want/need first. That'll help narrow down the PC choices...

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What are the better brands of plates

From my sniper hide

Same rabbit hole. What level protection do you want; Level 3, 4 etc...?

Want standalone plates or soft armor backers?

Want swimmer/shooter cut that gives up protection area for mobility?

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
taking a course in a few months, they recommend a way to carry extra mags, soooooo i figure time to get a rig together. I am stuck on the idea of a plate carrier so I can add plates later.

what i want, hold 6 ar mags, 6 pistol mags, and a water bladder on the back, im unsure if i want the pistol mounted on the vest or not
I like the Condor Operator 2

any help and or ideas?

This will most likely sound harsh, but here it goes.

Why do you NEED a plate carrier? Conspiracy theories and revolutionary dreams aside, there's next to no need for one. I have had one for several years now, and aside from when I needed it for work, I haven't worn it. Other than a little show and tell in my home for curious friends.

Plate carriers are made to carry plates. If you wear one without then, while carrying mags and other gear, you not only look like a raging moron but it will not fit right. Which makes it a pain in the ass to run with and do stuff, and also will choke you half to death if you are getting dragged for casualty drills.

Why so many magazines? Carry what you need, and nothing more. Molle is made to be flexible. If you need more mags, put more on, if you need less, take some off. If you need an IFAK, put it on, if you don't, don't freakin wear it. It takes 5 minutes to properly install anything onto these vests. Carrying 6384579 magazines on your person not only weighs you down, but it also pisses off your partner with all the rattling and having to drag your noisy, heavy, pointy gear ladened ass.

Typical load out? For what? While in Afghanistan, in the Marines, we carried 180 rounds in 30 round mags, 2 extra pistol mags, and an IFAK. Anything else is up to you. You really don't need anything other than that.

If you feel the need to buy gear to look cool or to fit in, you're doing it for the wrong reason. It may be a bit spartan or frugal, but the bare minimum to get by, with a few doodads to make it work to your specific needs, is all you need.

And for the record, I do have a plate carrier left over from Afghanistan, where I used it. After the service, it hasn't been used a bit. I keep it around, and it didn't cost me a penny to get it. But there's no need for it. It is an Eagle industries plate carrier, USMC circa 2009 issue. And when I needed it, it performed for me beautifully. How I loaded it? No tactical pocket protectors, no map pouches, no "admin pouches", no dump pouches, no camel back unless I needed to go on a foot patrol, and no stinking grenade pouches. All I had was a Unit patch, 3 double mag pouches, a snappy thing to attach my single point sling when I needed my hands free, and a IFAK on the left side where I could get it, but it's placement isn't a big deal, as long as it isn't on your back. If you are wounded in any situation, whether a firefight in afghan or in a shootout with a gang while you hide behind your squad car, chances are your buddy is gonna roll you on to your back and take care of you. Your IFAK isn't for you to use on your buddies, it's to be used on you by your buddy.

Jedabug92

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This will most likely sound harsh, but here it goes.

Why do you NEED a plate carrier? Conspiracy theories and revolutionary dreams aside, there's next to no need for one. I have had one for several years now, and aside from when I needed it for work, I haven't worn it. Other than a little show and tell in my home for curious friends.

Plate carriers are made to carry plates. If you wear one without then, while carrying mags and other gear, you not only look like a raging moron but it will not fit right. Which makes it a pain in the ass to run with and do stuff, and also will choke you half to death if you are getting dragged for casualty drills.

Why so many magazines? Carry what you need, and nothing more. Molle is made to be flexible. If you need more mags, put more on, if you need less, take some off. If you need an IFAK, put it on, if you don't, don't freakin wear it. It takes 5 minutes to properly install anything onto these vests. Carrying 6384579 magazines on your person not only weighs you down, but it also pisses off your partner with all the rattling and having to drag your noisy, heavy, pointy gear ladened ass.

Typical load out? For what? While in Afghanistan, in the Marines, we carried 180 rounds in 30 round mags, 2 extra pistol mags, and an IFAK. Anything else is up to you. You really don't need anything other than that.

If you feel the need to buy gear to look cool or to fit in, you're doing it for the wrong reason. It may be a bit spartan or frugal, but the bare minimum to get by, with a few doodads to make it work to your specific needs, is all you need.

And for the record, I do have a plate carrier left over from Afghanistan, where I used it. After the service, it hasn't been used a bit. I keep it around, and it didn't cost me a penny to get it. But there's no need for it. It is an Eagle industries plate carrier, USMC circa 2009 issue. And when I needed it, it performed for me beautifully. How I loaded it? No tactical pocket protectors, no map pouches, no "admin pouches", no dump pouches, no camel back unless I needed to go on a foot patrol, and no stinking grenade pouches. All I had was a Unit patch, 3 double mag pouches, a snappy thing to attach my single point sling when I needed my hands free, and a IFAK on the left side where I could get it, but it's placement isn't a big deal, as long as it isn't on your back. If you are wounded in any situation, whether a firefight in afghan or in a shootout with a gang while you hide behind your squad car, chances are your buddy is gonna roll you on to your back and take care of you. Your IFAK isn't for you to use on your buddies, it's to be used on you by your buddy.
No one other than known combatants, LEO, Military, NEED a plate carrier, the only things people NEED are food water air and blood and organs. Aside from that every thing else is a WANT. I WANT a pc. Yes it'll look odd until I get plates in it. I get that.

If I'm not mistaken I said 6 mags which is 180 rounds, so thanks for reinforcing that point, I don't need a shat load of pistol mags I'll concede that point, and hydration because the class in Oklahoma. ....IN JULY. ....so it might get a little warm outside.

From my sniper hide

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
No one other than known combatants, LEO, Military, NEED a plate carrier, the only things people NEED are food water air and blood and organs. Aside from that every thing else is a WANT. I WANT a pc. Yes it'll look odd until I get plates in it. I get that.

True true just wanted to reinforce that point.
If I'm not mistaken I said 6 mags which is 180 rounds, so thanks for reinforcing that point, I don't need a shat load of pistol mags I'll concede that point, and hydration because the class in Oklahoma. ....IN JULY. ....so it might get a little warm outside.

From my sniper hide

Haha, def realized that. It was in reference to the "typical loadout" question. But I did do a bit of over explaining.

Have fun with it, the class and lessons learned are way more important than the gear you bring. I just felt the itch to put in my .02 in.

Jedabug92

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
True true just wanted to reinforce that point.

Haha, def realized that. It was in reference to the "typical loadout" question. But I did do a bit of over explaining.

Have fun with it, the class and lessons learned are way more important than the gear you bring. I just felt the itch to put in my .02 in.
Oh no I appreciate it. that why I put Normal in quotations because I know there's not a cookie cutter load, but I wanted to see who ran 2 mags and if any one 100000 mags. Haha.
And I'm looking forward to the class.

From my sniper hide

Latest posts

Top Bottom