School me on plate carriers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Erick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm looking to buy a PC now. It's between the PIG and Mayflower. I like most of my gear on my belt so I am looking at the minimalist approach on the PC. I am also pretty up in the air on plates. weight is a big factor for me.

aestus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As a general rule, you size your plate carrier to the size / type of plates you have and you size plates based on your anatomy. Most people wear plates and carrier that are way too big.

This is a good article on how plates should be worn http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?85112-Proper-Wear-of-Armor-(with-anatomical-diagrams)

Plates are only meant to cover the vitals and nothing more. Thats basically at the top of your sternum down to about 2-3 inches above your belly button and should be just wide enough to cover one nipple to the other. There's actually a trend right now to wear plates slightly smaller than normal for increased mobility and weight.

Typically the average person should wear plates 1 size down from their actual shirt size. What I mean by actual shirt size is that most people with a slight gut will wear a shirt size larger than they're supposed to to try and hide the tactical beer belly. Most adult males 6' 2" down to about 5' 8" typically do fine with medium or small sized SAPI plates.

Placement of pouches and mags can have a negative impact on weapons handling. Having bulky pouches on the sides can impact your ability to draw your weapon from the waist, thus why drop leg holsters were created. Wearing side plates can also interfere with drawing a firearm from the holster.

Two of my favorite plate carriers are the LBT 6094 and Crye JPC. The Cry JPC is the lightest and most maneuverable and perfect for direct action type activities where you're running and gunning more than just standing around or not shooting. The way it's cut and the design of the shoulder straps allows for easy shouldering of the rifle, especially if you shoot squared up. The LBT 6094 is my favorite for long term usage where you may be wearing it for hours with little to no "direct action." Very comfortable and yet still slick and fairly low profile.

Latest posts

Top Bottom