scope question....hook a brutha up?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
and when going long range do i need a one piece base with 20-40 moa? and what the #$%^&* does that mean anyways? how can a base have moa?

Scopes only have so much travel. Let's say your scope had 40 Moa of travel. You zero out your gun at 200 yards and have 20 Moa of up adjustment and 20 Moa of down adjustment. Let's say you need 30 Moa of travel to get to 1000 yards from the 200 yard zero. No way to get there.

You bolt a 20 MOA base on you gun. Which is an angled base that is machined to an angle that is the equivilent of 20 MOa You now have 40 MOA of up travel. You can now shoot to a thousand yards. These are all made up numbers but you get the idea.

Jedabug92

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Scopes only have so much travel. Let's say your scope had 40 Moa of travel. You zero out your gun at 200 yards and have 20 Moa of up adjustment and 20 Moa of down adjustment. Let's say you need 30 Moa of travel to get to 1000 yards from the 200 yard zero. No way to get there.

You bolt a 20 MOA base on you gun. Which is an angled base that is machined to an angle that is the equivilent of 20 MOa You now have 40 MOA of up travel. You can now shoot to a thousand yards. These are all made up numbers but you get the idea.

so basically its a MOA boost?
and would a nikon m223 mount with 20 MOA and a one piece base for a rem 700 with 40 MOA be a good idea or just one or the other?

Mechanicalmehem

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I personally shoot to 1k at badlandstactical.net I started with a vortex.. and it crapped the second day. They suggested at swfa fixed 10 power that I have been running for 2 years without issue.. It is a mil-dot with MOA adjustment knobs... their basic class makes the conversion very easy. I have shot deer as close as 100 yds and as far as 375 with this setup. I shoot steel from 400 to 1k at their range and I have no issue hitting at 1k when I do everything right. I bought a ken farrell 1 piece 20 moa scope base.. with the SWFA scope I do not need the additional 20 moa scope base... 10 power is plenty for 1k.. if you are running at 308 then you are actually at the very limits of that particular round... just my .02 I will agree with MoBoost in that the internet has opinions like assholes everyone has one... my best advice would be to go to a class or two and see/learn what you want and need. Experience is the absolute best answer to most of your questions...
--Justin

Mechanicalmehem

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Also 40 moa scope base is probably too much for just about any gun if you plan on ever shooting it at 100 yards... and again with the SWFA fixed 10 power you can run a 0 MOA scope base.. I can tell you that mine has over 100 MOA of adjustment.

Latest posts

Top Bottom