• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to OKShooters Association and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member

Scout scope, or similar.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cdschoonie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
I’m wanting a good scope for my Marlin 45-70. Don’t want anything bigger than 40mm for sure, less than 33mm is ideal, something in the less than $250 range, since that’s my top end of budget. I’m currently looking at the Vortex Crossfire II 2-7 x 32, with my thumb on and off the ‘Buy Now’ button (lol), to give an idea of what I’m wanting.

cdschoonie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
23   0   0

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
probably a bit late as Leupold has discontinued.
Optic Planet had AR Mod I 3x9x40 for $160 shipped
was sooo impressed at quality of optics and mil dot
that I immediately ordered a second one

ideal for my 1950's Weatherby .270 deer rifle
a HUGE improvement over Unertl 4x probably mounted by Weatherby
absolutely the best optics bargain I've ever lucked into!

Provenoutfitters has em for $318 .. it might be worth digging for a better price to meet budget. I believe 4x12x 40 was also available
https://www.provenoutfitters.com/mark-ar-mod-1-3-9x40mm

iu

Last edited:

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Yea seems to be some AR Mod 1 out there, but gouging has them from $350 and up.

link above has AR Mod 1 3x9x40 with duplex for $272
instead of mil dot version $318.

but then you lose function of external click knobs being able to quickly change sittings on the fly. losing the mil dot reticle/external click function would be a deal killer for me.

once you zero AR Mod 1 on target, you take a tiny allen and reset to zero on dials. external dials can and will be bumped.

for a nice hunting scope .. you may be better off by finding a used fixed 4x Leupold. they typically sell for $150 range. Leupold honors a lifetime warranty that follows scope, not original owner.

yes I'd rather purchase a used Leupold vs an off brand new to stay within budget. to me choice of optic is just as important as firearm it's going on. it's not unusual for me to spend more on the optic than the rifle it's going on.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
If you're wanting a real scout scope, I can't help, but if you're just wanting a smaller receiver mounted scope, the Leupold VX-Hog and the 1-4 Mark AR are around 225 bucks I believe. I've owned my Mark AR for years and literally beat it to hell, submerged it, dropped it - it still performs like new.

https://www.opticsplanet.com/leupold-vx-freedom-ar-1-5-4x20-riflescope.html

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
please note difference between generous eye relief of high end optics like Leupold vs long eye relief for rifles in pic above and pistols. some of course don't consider Leupold high end. especially when compared to S&B, Zeiss, etc. etc.

if your setup is anywhere close to this .. what you need is generous eye relief, nice optics and of course reliability that only decades track record of honoring it's lifetime warranty with no fuss like Leupold. that's why Leupold scopes hold their value, no matter how beatup, so long as lens are in good condition.

Marlin_1895_45-70_scoped_rifle_and_patch__66911.1553797352.jpg