screw thread pitch

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've got some messed up scope ring screws I want to replace but , can't figure out the thread. The o.d. of the screw is .151 ". The thread pitch is 36 per inch or possibly .7 metric. The rings are oem Steyr rings. Thank for any help.

Calamity Jake

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've got some messed up scope ring screws I want to replace but , can't figure out the thread. The o.d. of the screw is .151 ". The thread pitch is 36 per inch or possibly .7 metric. The rings are oem Steyr rings. Thank for any help.

Sounds like an 8-36 screw to me. The .151 OD is #8 size with a thread pitch of 36 threads per inch.

whiskeysnoot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Recheck that thread pitch. Most ring screws are 8-40 and base screws 6-48. Not going to find those in the hardware store but readily available from Midway or Brownells. Personally I like Leupold torx screws.

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You might be able to go on a site that sells the rings and find spec's for the screws.

The odds are good the scope screws are metric. Check on a metric thread gauge. If they don't fit that well then check on an English thread gauge. You have more chance of finding metric screws at a good Ace Hardware than you do the English ones. They are almost certainly to be the oddball gunsmith spec ones.

Whatever you do be SURE you have the correct replacement screws.

Latest posts

Top Bottom