Screwing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FamousAJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
God forbid you have to pay an extra five dollars shipping. If it gets too much higher, you may have to patronize your local store..and then.... OH NO, you will have to pay sales tax!!

My oh my, there is just no winning in this world. It sucks that we have to pay for things.

OH, your product you are buying will just magically jump into the box, tape itself up, print and pay for its own label, jump into the mail truck on its own, and arrive at your door.

It may cost 5.86 for a flat rate box, but if you add adult signature, it's an extra 5 bucks. Then, if it is an item thats worth money, you have to insure it.

But no, you didnt think of those little details.

we consumers just expect sellers to ship it, no sig required, not insured.

THEN, when someone steals it off your front porch, you ***** and want your money back, which the seller always gives. But then we are screwed, because we wanted to save you 5 bucks.

heheheeeeeee. get 'em dog! ruff!

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have been on both sides of the "how to get the item(s) from there to the customer" issue. As a GM for a firearms & firearms parts maker, I had to ship everything from a couple screws to complete guns. There is a cost that has to be borne; that is the packaging and box/envelope, time to prepare to ship/invoice and delivering the product to the shipping entity (UPS, USPS, etc).

Both USPS and UPS provide packaging materials for "free" with the cost including with shipping. That only applies to premium services such as Next Day Air, NDAS and USPS' Priority Mail. I bought 100's of cardboard boxes for everything else, costing .50+/- even when I shopped hard to get the best value. No, I didn't to the ULine route. Ditto for padded envelopes.

We direct shipped via UPS. That took time to weigh, print labels and put the product securely into the container.

It is a cost to both the merchant and the customer that has to be considered.

Personally I can deal with actual ship costs + a small materials/handing fee better than an expensive "all in one" cost. I appreciate merchants who offer options to ship, including the lesser expensive ones. I like to be able to choose the method of delivery. I appreciate merchants who choose the best, lowest cost option for me when I do not choose.

chr_edw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Bottom line... if you don't like someone's shipping charges don't buy from them. It is really that easy, but don't complain after you have agreed to the total and completed the transaction. I to have a small business that ships alot ( not my holsters they ship free to you guys :P ) and I charge a flat rate of $7.95 weather you order an item that weighs a few ounces or an order that requires 5 large boxes. I win some but most I loose my ass on shipping. I have to though to be competitive with larger businesses.

If you really think they are charging to much go over to UPS.com for fun and estimate a shipping cost even for a 1lb package to you from their zip code. If you figure in packaging, the label, and ink to print it's probably not very far off (usps is cheaper on the small stuff though ).

OK.... rant over.

pistolguy

Marksman
Reaction score
Dunnno about now, or about non-books, but back in the day, Amazon got 40% of what you retailed your book for, and they don't stock it OR ship it. It costs MONEY to pack items and take them to the shipping point, too. So what many guys do is "lowball" the price, cause Amazon doesn't get a piece of the shipping costs.

Latest posts

Top Bottom