Searching for quality hand tools

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Where can one find quality made in the USA hand tools that are not sold from a truck? Preferably in Tulsa, but OKC is not out of the question. Specifically I'm looking at some quality wrenches and possibly other hand tools. My research has me looking at Wright or maybe the more affordable Blackhawk by Proto.

If time allows I may hit pawn shops to acquire a mix of good tools, but I'd like to find a good set of new or like new without spending Snap On prices. I did see a decent selection of Bonney wrenches on the Epstein website. While those should be good, they will not have a warranty.

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I dunno about in Tulsa but I’ve acquired a few secondhand SK tools over the years and they seem pretty good. One of my 1/2” drive ratchets was broken when I got it and SK sent me a rebuild kit no questions asked.

I say secondhand but they could be thirty-seventh hand for all I know.

https://sktools.com/

GeneW

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You might check out Steves Wholesale Tools. There is one branch in Tulsa, couple in OKC. They have a lot of chinese crap, but they used to sell some good quality tools, hopefully they still do. And you might check at NAPA, preferably the big warehouse that has a public counter. In OKC that's on Memorial & Lincoln.

mouthpiece

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I found pawn shops to be about 90% of new cost. For the most part not worth it, TO ME.
That said, Rose pawn down town Tulsa is a treasure trove of tools at good prices.
And they have guns!!

Not related to the above
In Broken Arrow at about 81st and Aspen(145th) just south of intersection on Aspen, east side, there is a pawn shop name is something like Rosepine pawn or something.
He has always had very resonable deals on tools but they don't stay in the shop long.

Glock 40

Problem Solver
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know you don't want to pay tool truck prices but there is nothing in comparison especially if USA made is part of the criteria. What are you wanting them for? Also a used set of snap-ons will be better than 3 new sets of anything else out there. So check Craigslist, ebay and other places for used sets. The reality is if your not making a living with them you probably don't need that level of quality. I am a tool whore and get giddy at the site of a Snap-on truck. That said I can say that I bought multiple sets and styles of Gear Wrench about 10 years ago and while the chrome finish isn't as nice as Snap-On I have been extremely impressed with them and haven't broke a single one.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How about garage sales? Sometimes the early bird gets a good buy.

This, and Facebook marketplace. I've got a garage full of ancient snap-on, diamond, sk, us craftsman, John deere, proto, and ford tools... all picked up for a few dollars each over the years. The further outside the metro you go, the better the tools/deals get.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Man when I lived in Waco I made a killing buying tools at the flea market. I'm not sure how the ones here are but you'd learn what dealers had what and what brands they knew. Some only knew Craftsman so they wanted big money for that but if it was one of them off brands (sarcasm) like Snap On, Matco, Mac, Williams, SK, Proto, Blackhawk, Wright etc...it was cheap!
Others only thought highly of truck brands so Craftsman and the more obscure stuff like Wright, SK and Proto were cheap.

Latest posts

Top Bottom