Searching for quality hand tools

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HFS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had a family member that had a job driving a delivery truck (this was back when Walmart was just starting to open stores in small towns and there were still small businesses there).
He kept an eye out for mom and pop hardware stores in little towns and small cities.
He always tried to stop and look around and said there were lots of American made tools that had been sitting there for so long, when you blew the dust off the price tag, it wasn't too bad.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had a family member that had a job driving a delivery truck (this was back when Walmart was just starting to open stores in small towns and there were still small businesses there).
He kept an eye out for mom and pop hardware stores in little towns and small cities.
He always tried to stop and look around and said there were lots of American made tools that had been sitting there for so long, when you blew the dust off the price tag, it wasn't too bad.

When Vise Grips went to being made in China, I hit just about every little hardware store I could find between Waco, TX and Lincoln, NE and snatched 'em up. It was a good haul but I'm set on USA made Vise Grips!

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
You might check out Steves Wholesale Tools. There is one branch in Tulsa, couple in OKC. They have a lot of chinese crap, but they used to sell some good quality tools, hopefully they still do. And you might check at NAPA, preferably the big warehouse that has a public counter. In OKC that's on Memorial & Lincoln.
NAPA carries Proto and Gearwrench. I think SK too.

I have seen a guy fix cars and he has a brand of tools I have never heard of. Sonic

https://sonictoolsusa.com/?gclid=Cj...9R4sZW7M77LWBfEBcFKD7j0wpqwmgoIhoC30MQAvD_BwE

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I dunno about in Tulsa but I’ve acquired a few secondhand SK tools over the years and they seem pretty good. One of my 1/2” drive ratchets was broken when I got it and SK sent me a rebuild kit no questions asked.

I say secondhand but they could be thirty-seventh hand for all I know.

https://sktools.com/
I know SK is good stuff, especially for rachets, but I haven't finished moving into my new shop to take inventory of sockets. I bought a large tool chest full of old Craftsman, mostly 1/2" drive years ago.

Where did you get yours second hand?

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You might check out Steves Wholesale Tools. There is one branch in Tulsa, couple in OKC. They have a lot of chinese crap, but they used to sell some good quality tools, hopefully they still do. And you might check at NAPA, preferably the big warehouse that has a public counter. In OKC that's on Memorial & Lincoln.
I checked my local NAPA for their house brand Carlyle that is considered pretty good, but they only had Chinese stuff. And, I called Steve's Wholesale and they had only Chinese.

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I found pawn shops to be about 90% of new cost. For the most part not worth it, TO ME.
That said, Rose pawn down town Tulsa is a treasure trove of tools at good prices.
And they have guns!!

Not related to the above
In Broken Arrow at about 81st and Aspen(145th) just south of intersection on Aspen, east side, there is a pawn shop name is something like Rosepine pawn or something.
He has always had very resonable deals on tools but they don't stay in the shop long.
Good suggestion. I'm very familiar with Second Hand Rose where I've purchased several CZ & Dan Wessons. And , your likely to hear some good stories.

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Also, Cripes is a good online dealer of quality stuff..
https://cripedistributing.com/

And probably my favorite online place that also has a store front in Kansas City, MO that's absolutely worth stopping at if you're in the area is Harry Epstein. LOADS of USA stuff here.
https://www.harryepstein.com/
I hadn't heard of Cripes, but I have looked on harryepstein.com where there looked like good prices on Wright and old inventory/new Bonney.

I may end up ordering online, but would like to touch some of them first.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Their store is very cool. Its an old 3-story building and its packed. If you're ever in the area, for real...go there. I've taken a detour there 3 times just because its a cool store and cool people. Good tools were a bonus.

Latest posts

Top Bottom