seeking muzzleloader advice.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadJeep

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
have a muzzleloader on the way. would like some advice on recommended bullets and loads.

I bought a pack of tc shock wave 250 grain with sabots and Hornady 240 grain with sabots, tripple 7 pellets (50equ) and tripple 7 magnum load pellets (60 gr equivalent)

The muzzy is a entry level Thompson Center Impact .50 Caliber. Also I'd like to know what is to be expected for accuracy, according to the reviews they shoot good. The most I would ask from it is a 100 to 200 yard shot for deer hunting.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
have a muzzleloader on the way. would like some advice on recommended bullets and loads.

I bought a pack of tc shock wave 250 grain with sabots and Hornady 240 grain with sabots, tripple 7 pellets (50equ) and tripple 7 magnum load pellets (60 gr equivalent)

The muzzy is a entry level Thompson Center Impact .50 Caliber. Also I'd like to know what is to be expected for accuracy, according to the reviews they shoot good. The most I would ask from it is a 100 to 200 yard shot for deer hunting.
Before anyone can give you this information you need to advise us of the twist in the rifling of the muzzle loader you bought.
Some twists require a round ball for accuracy and some will take a conical bullet.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
These gave been accurate out of multiple ML for me, killed several deer and friend in Colorado has used them to elk hunt with since 2005.

Screenshot_20200804-065903_Samsung Internet.jpg

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
1:28 twist on that rifle.
I have also used the Power belt bullets with 100% sucess I use the 295 gr though and they were the Hollow point ones. no more than 90 gr of pyrodex.
The HP version will not mushroom like you would expect but instead comes all apart. push it slower like 50-80 gr and it does not shrapnel as bad.
I make lead inserts to stick into the HP and it will keep it from turning to shrapnel. This was an issue known to the manufacture and known to many hunters that used the HP powerbelts and pushed them fast.

Then the Aero Tip version came out.

That TC1000 bore butter will cause carbon ring down low in the chamber you will feel it when seating a bullet after firing one off.
Fire 3 or 4 off without cleaning or swabbing and you will play heck sometimes seating a bullet past the carbon ring.

I hate that bore butter.
Research it.
One thing though if you wait and be patient and actually hunt your deer most shots will be way under 100 yards.
And hit one with a powerbelt bullet and it is bang flop.

My first one was an 80lb dressed doe.
Shot at 75 yards in the neck with 295gr Hollow point copper Powerbelt with 90gr pyrodex.
There was a section of hide about the size of a dollar bill holding the head to the rest of the deer body.
Just about completely decapitated that doe.

Be very careful where you point those rifles as they kill like no other.

wolfkpr

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Decent scope, 100gr load, and either of the sabot bullets, and i’ll be supprised if you dont get 1-2” inch groups at 100yds.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I drop 2 Triple 7 pellets. with the sabot and 250 gr bullet. Gets 2 1/2" 100 yard groups
With Pyrodex or Triple 7 powder, I get better accuracy with 90 grains .

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I use a 44 cal 240 gr hornady xtp and sabot with 70 gr of pistol pyrodex or 80 gr pyrodex pellets. it's went through several deer at 100 yrds. Accuracy is probably 1-2" out of the thompson encore and usually dead on out of the remington 700ML at 100yrds. One of my best bucks was taken with a thompson white mountain carbine with that load.

Latest posts

Top Bottom