Semi-Auto Battle Rifle... Which one?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Favorite Fighting Rifle

• Stoner Variants- M4, AR-15, AR-10

Votes: 73 33.0%
  • Kalashnikov Variants-AK47, 74, Valmet, Saiga, VZ58

Votes: 43 19.5%
  • FN FAL

Votes: 30 13.6%
  • M1-A

Votes: 29 13.1%
  • Steyr AUG

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • M1 Garand

Votes: 25 11.3%
  • HK G3

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • Mini-14

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • FN SCAR/ Bushmaster ACR

Votes: 13 5.9%
  • Robinson XC R/ SIG 556

Votes: 1 0.5%

• Total voters

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
FAL or G3; recently acquired a G3 type, but have yet to shoot it. So far I like it's balance a bit better than the FAL, but the FAL handles very well, easy to maintain, and is accurate enough for what it was intended for. As of now the FAL is my front runner, at least until I put the G3 clone through it's paces.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, there are only a couple rifles in the poll that meet the definition of a Battle Rifle...I was tempted to answer with the M1A, but the M1A/M14's reputation, I believe, is driven more by nostalgia than actual performance in combat. I've never run an FAL or a G3. The AR-10 is unproven, in any great statistical example, in anything other than a designated marksman role.

So I'd have to go with the M1 Garand...as my personal choice for a Battle Rifle as typically defined.

(and what's with lumping the SCAR in with Bushmaster's abortion?)

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Of the one's that were listed, I picked the Stoner variants, but I think that for me, the one I'd pick would be my Ruger Gunsite Scout in 308 Winchester.

BrandonM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Of the one's that were listed, I picked the Stoner variants, but I think that for me, the one I'd pick would be my Ruger Gunsite Scout in 308 Winchester.

The Ruger doesn't fit the description of semi-auto. I voted for the FAL due to its track record and lack of other actuall battle rifles in the poll.

Latest posts

Top Bottom