Semi-Auto Battle Rifle... Which one?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Favorite Fighting Rifle

• Stoner Variants- M4, AR-15, AR-10

Votes: 73 33.0%
  • Kalashnikov Variants-AK47, 74, Valmet, Saiga, VZ58

Votes: 43 19.5%
  • FN FAL

Votes: 30 13.6%
  • M1-A

Votes: 29 13.1%
  • Steyr AUG

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • M1 Garand

Votes: 25 11.3%
  • HK G3

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • Mini-14

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • FN SCAR/ Bushmaster ACR

Votes: 13 5.9%
  • Robinson XC R/ SIG 556

Votes: 1 0.5%

• Total voters

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think the AR is the most versatile platform out there. You can build a long range precision rifle, then knock out two pins and replace your precision upper with a SBR for CQC use. The options available for this platform are endless.

rocketman

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think the AR is the most versatile platform out there. You can build a long range precision rifle, then knock out two pins and replace your precision upper with a SBR for CQC use. The options available for this platform are endless.

This would apply to many other rifles on the list should they be popular enough to cause companies to develope more options for them. The popularity makes the AR common, which makes them cheap, which makes them popular.

I beleive that the "frame or receiver" part of the weapon that should be considered the gun is the part that holds the barrel and bolt together and can chamber a round. You can fire an AR upper without the lower, but the upper is not considered the gun part to be transfered. The sig has the same two piece design but has the upper as the "receiver" as the main part. This registration oddity with the AR has really given it a big advantage as far as popularity. Hopefully no criminal will buy an AR upper and a little hammer and ruin it for everyone.

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This would apply to many other rifles on the list should they be popular enough to cause companies to develope more options for them. The popularity makes the AR common, which makes them cheap, which makes them popular.

I beleive that the "frame or receiver" part of the weapon that should be considered the gun is the part that holds the barrel and bolt together and can chamber a round. You can fire an AR upper without the lower, but the upper is not considered the gun part to be transfered. The sig has the same two piece design but has the upper as the "receiver" as the main part. This registration oddity with the AR has really given it a big advantage as far as popularity. Hopefully no criminal will buy an AR upper and a little hammer and ruin it for everyone.

The FAL and AK are very popular in the world. An AK is cheaper than an AR. So in your words, the AK would be more popular than the AR. Which, in a world view, it is. If you want a battle proven, fairly accurate, close range rifle; then the AK is the ticket. As far as the FAL goes, I personally have no love for it. Where the AR platform shines, is in configurability. You can have a precision rifle that out shoots any of the other rifles on the list out to 600-800 yards, a SBR for house work, a 14.5-16" for just about everything and all can be had in a manner of seconds. Or now, they have the 300 black out. All you have to do is change the barrel and you are firing a 30 cal bullet. Everything else stays the same. I mean, that's what makes the AR the best platform in my book. So many options. This is all an opinion of course.

rocketman

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The FAL and AK are very popular in the world. An AK is cheaper than an AR. So in your words, the AK would be more popular than the AR. Which, in a world view, it is. If you want a battle proven, fairly accurate, close range rifle; then the AK is the ticket. As far as the FAL goes, I personally have no love for it. Where the AR platform shines, is in configurability. You can have a precision rifle that out shoots any of the other rifles on the list out to 600-800 yards, a SBR for house work, a 14.5-16" for just about everything and all can be had in a manner of seconds. Or now, they have the 300 black out. All you have to do is change the barrel and you are firing a 30 cal bullet. Everything else stays the same. I mean, that's what makes the AR the best platform in my book. So many options. This is all an opinion of course.

You've got a good point about switching out calibers. That is great for us since we like to have multiple guns and configurations. Other rifles could do this as well but the receiver law thing gets in the way. I personally just like to buy another complete AR and have one in each hand!

On the other hand, the ideal multi-config gun would have a barrel/bolt swap (like AUG? idk) that would fit in a backpack as a quick change option in the field. I'm supprised i haven't heard more about the Sig 550/551/556 style rifles...to me they seem like a cross between the AK and the AR without the negatives.

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The 300 blackout option is just a barrel swap. You can use the same AR mags, bolt, and everything else. The 300 blackout has the same ballistics as the 7.62x39 (AK round). Plus you can buy a subsonic 300 blackout round and run suppressed to be ultra quite. To me, there are better options than the Sig. I would rather have a LWRC or POF piston AR. The lower remains the same, only the upper is different. Replacing the DI gas tube with a piston system.

I too, would just buy complete AR's. But the beauty of it is, that you don't have too. I can buy one lower, and 2 totally different uppers (10.5" and 18"), and then buy another lower, as funds permit. What's also great is, I can register one lower as an SBR, and put different length uppers with different calibers on there. I can run a 7" 9mm upper, a 10.5" 223 upper, or a 9" 300 blackout upper, and only have to pay 1 stamp.

rocketman

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
"What's also great is, I can register one lower as an SBR, and put different length uppers with different calibers on there. I can run a 7" 9mm upper, a 10.5" 223 upper, or a 9" 300 blackout upper, AND ONLY HAVE TO PAY 1 STAMP. "

This is probably the greatest thing i like about the AR.

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
"What's also great is, I can register one lower as an SBR, and put different length uppers with different calibers on there. I can run a 7" 9mm upper, a 10.5" 223 upper, or a 9" 300 blackout upper, AND ONLY HAVE TO PAY 1 STAMP. "

This is probably the greatest thing i like about the AR.

Yes it is, and I use it to it's full ability. :mosh:

Latest posts

Top Bottom